Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies applied to business problems, solving real needs for customers who spend billions of dollars across our stores in North America. QuoteCenter is an application Home Depot store associates use to build large product owners for our Pro customers.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead Agile software teams in building industry-leading applications for pro customers. The right person will be passionate about motivating and leading engineers and teams, fostering needed process/structure, and developing a high performance culture of dedicated software professionals. (You want to scare away the faint hearted here and attract the right kind of person)
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events, including .Net Fringe, NodePDX and PADNUG, and our developers headline workshops to teach Portland-area web developers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems at the world’s third-largest retailer. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
We are searching a Manager of Engineering who has strong technical acumen, is passionate about open source technologies and knows how to lead engineers and leverage them in a data-rich environment (thousands of users, millions of customers, billions in sales). The goal of your efforts is to create and maintain balance between productivity and engineering happiness.
What problem will you be solving in this role?
You will build a strong engineering culture of engineers that create innovative products.
- Work with other managers and engineers to build software applications in an Agile software development environment
- Provide thought leadership and establish a technical strategy and roadmap for the team and its products
- Mentor and manage Engineers to provide career direction and inspiration
- Partner with Product Management, Architecture and User Experience to prepare for upcoming work assignments
- Foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Own the technical design, development and operational effectiveness of innovative applications that meet current and future business needs in an efficient, sustainable, agile, and adaptable manner
- Collaborate with other managers and cross-functional teams to define strategies, scope of products and services throughout the product lifecycle
- Contribute to a culture of modern software development methodologies and architectural excellence
- Passionate about motivating great teams that are effective in creating great software that folks use and love
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
30% - Delivery & Execution:
Collaborates and pairs with product team members (UX, engineering, and product management) to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
Writes custom code or scripts to automate infrastructure, monitoring services, and test cases
Works with vendors and partners for the successful implementation of critical tooling and platforms
Creates meaningful dashboards, logging, alerting, and responses to ensure that issues are captured and addressed proactively
Contributes to enterprise-wide tools to drive destructive testing, automation, and engineering empowerment
Evaluates new technologies for adoption across the enterprise
Participates in and leads review board sessions to drive consistency across the enterprise
Fills in on product teams for engineers who are out of the office
10% - Support & Enablement:
Fields questions from engineers, product teams, or support teams
Monitors tools and participates in conversations to encourage collaboration across product teams
Provides application support for software running in production
Acts as a technical escalation point for the engineers on the team
50% - People:
Provides leadership, mentoring, and coaching to Software Engineers
Attracts, retains, and develops top talent to build a world class Software Engineering Team
Conducts annual and mid-year reviews by reviewing individual development plans and team feedback
Fosters collaboration with team members to drive consistency across product teams, and finds opportunities to expose engineers to career interests
Acts as a proponent of modern software development practices
Guides team members in strategy, alignment, analysis, and execution tasks within and across product teams
Participates in and contributes to learning activities around modern software design and development core practices (communities of practice)
10% - Learning:
Learns, through reading, tutorials, and videos, new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
Builds relationships with technology leaders at other companies to learn best practices and elegant solutions to common problems
NATURE AND SCOPE
Typically reports to the Software Engineer Sr. Manager, Technology Director or Sr. Director.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Mastery of an object oriented programming language (preferably Java)
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 5 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Proven experience implementing engineering best practices based on Agile principles
- 3+ years of experience managing, building and leading large scale Agile product development teams
- 7+ years of experience participating in the design and implementation of large-scale web applications
- The ability to articulate and reinforce a vision for engineering processes and culture
- Experience pairing engineering resources with potential work to ensure fast delivery and high throughput on the highest value opportunities, while also providing an environment that provides engineers with challenges and growth opportunities
- Experience implementing quality solutions that will raise the standards of our existing solutions while not diminishing the flexibility of a dynamic work environment
- A positive, team-oriented attitude… someone who is willing to work in a fast-paced environment that is always in the process of change
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or engineering science degree at an accredited institution; graduate level education highly desired
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Attracts Top Talent: Attracting and selecting the best talent to meet current and future business needs
Balances Stakeholders: Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization s goals
Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization s goals
Drives Engagement: Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
Drives Vision and Purpose: Painting a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action
Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
Organizational Savvy: Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics
Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
We recognize that military members are adept, motivated and hardworking. That’s why we made a commitment in 2012 to hire 55,000 veterans in 5 years!