BabyCenter is seeking a Software
Engineer for the Platform team with a passion for building world-class
experiences for large audiences. The position includes opportunities to work
with some of the latest technologies on a large-scale infrastructure. This is a
great position if you like creating customer solutions with hands-on
development in addition to improving core software infrastructure
BabyCenter® is the world’s partner
in parenting. The #1 pregnancy and parenting digital destination, BabyCenter
reaches more than 40 million moms and dads monthly in 11 languages from Canada
to the Middle East to China. In the United States, 7 in 10 babies born last
year were BabyCenter babies. BabyCenter provides parents with trusted
information, advice from peers, and support that’s Remarkably Right® at every
stage of their child’s development. Products include websites, mobile apps,
online communities, email series, social programs, print publications, and
public health initiatives. BabyCenter also leverages its industry-leading
audience engagement to provide unparalleled insights and innovative marketing
solutions to the world’s top brands, retailers, and institutions. Additionally,
BabyCenter is committed to improving maternal health globally, and – through
its Mission Motherhood™ campaign – works closely with nonprofits, NGOs, and
governments to help make motherhood safer for all women. BabyCenter is a member
of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies.
The Platform team is responsible
for identifying, developing, and supporting BabyCenter’s core services,
including identity, member profile, and content distribution. The Platform team
also empowers and enables rapid development of new services and capabilities
inside our data centers and the Cloud.
The ideal candidate has experience
designing and building large-capacity websites in a team-based environment,
experience working with new technologies and conventions, and the desire to
build great products for new and expecting parents.
This is a full-time position based
in San Francisco.
- Collaborate with Platform team
members to develop services and features of the highest quality within promised
- Create automated tests for key
features and collaborate with the team Quality Analyst to ensure any feature
developed is fully tested.
- Validate feature success or
failure through instrumentation and monitoring.
- Align development style and
technique to the team Architect standards and overall BabyCenter Engineering
- Actively participate in team agile
planning and retrospectives to help decompose problems and continuously improve
the team's efficiency and happiness.
- Provide accurate estimates during
planning when asked, voice concerns about cost and scope, and offer
alternatives when appropriate.
- Commit to delivery in sprint
planning and daily stand-ups, and honor those commitments even when unexpected
challenges make it difficult.
- Ensure work is peer reviewed
and/or pair programmed according to team standards for completed features.
- Accurately document task progress
using team agile tools to ensure work board accurately depicts the current
state of the sprint.
- Provide production support through
on-call rotation and availability as necessary for escalation of issues related
to features developed by the team.
- Fulfill other duties assigned by
- 5+ years web development experience
- Experience in architecting solutions in Java/Spring
- Demonstrable experience in service-oriented architecture
- Strong communication skills in order to professionally socialize
- Experience in team-based agile development methodology
- MIS or computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Previous experience deploying fast,
reliable code operating on a large scale
- Ability to provide accurate
estimates based on high-level requirements
- Experience implementing typical
Model, DAO, Service, and Controller patterns
- Experience designing and creating
REST web services
- Client-side web programming
- Experience with GIT source code
management best practices when working in a team environment (branching,
- Ability to identify project risks
and provide alternatives for reducing risk
- Experience in agile development
- Specific platform knowledge a
plus: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Maven, Gradle, Eclipse or IntelliJ, Tomcat, JMX,
JMS, Git, MySQL, Cassandra, Solr, Nexus, Jenkins, Grinder, Grails
- Experience with AWS or cloud
How to apply
This is a full-time position at
our headquarters in San Francisco. BabyCenter is a member of the Johnson &
Johnson family of companies. Qualified candidates may submit an application
online at J&J
United States-California-San FranciscoOrganization
BabyCenter, LLC (6009)Job Function
Engineering (IT)Requisition ID
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.