Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Engineer - Software
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: R1017690
Software Engineer - Platform Forwarding
San Jose, CA
The next generation of NOS architecture - hardware and software that aligns with SDN, is highly modular and programmable, supports modern software principles and distributed system constructs, and works at hyper scale. This while making it super simple for customers to deploy and maintain. Some people are calling it the plug-and-play of networking.
Are you a good fit?
It's an exciting time to work with a new project in CSG XR group. We are looking for strong, talented and energetic engineers and technical leaders with following skills:
• Exposure to Open Source software and contributions to the Open Source community.
• Strong background in C/C++, good knowledge of programming on Linux OS.
• Comfortable with Linux platform bring up, system architecture and design.
• System software development with exposure to MIPS, PPC and x86 architectures.
• Excellent background in profiling in an embedded environment and improving runtime performance.
• Work in an Agile development environment where the team is empowered and accountable for delivery (development & test) of quality software.
• For test, an inclination to understand customer deployments (optical DCI and CDN/Peering) in addition to functional automation is a key attribute
• Ability to learn and utilize diverse programming language (e.g. python, GO) as part of the development process.
How We Work:
"Fast, Agile and Perfect"
Customers are now demanding features turned around in weeks, see them work in their labs and deploy them in an Agile manner; enhance the implementation based on field feedback and so on. You need to be excited about understanding the requirement, design and code them to deliver a quick early drop, and be agile to refine it based on real field feedback to make it ready for deployment. In
all of this, top focus is a must on the aspect of quality, so that our Customers do not lose time and money during their deployment and Operations.
"Outcome based and Customer focus"
Cisco wins when the customer wins and makes money, after deploying your new implementation! This needs very close Customer engagement right from understanding their requirement/deployment scenarios, iteratively seek feedback both ways and pro-actively and quickly turn around any questions or issues customers find - to enable them deploy and win quickly!
"Empowered Teams, Fun and Open Culture"
Each team decides collectively on the best options to help the customer situation in an empowered manner. We celebrate Customer wins and milestone achievements and relish our hard work that made it happen! Engineers have the flexibility to work across multiple technology components with soft-component ownership that enhances their learning potential. Engineers are encouraged to up-skill by
various means like: develop prototypes for innovations and new trends, contribute to open source communities, participate and deliver tech-talks.
"Pursuit of Simplicity"
As we lead and drive radical simplicity in network operating systems (NOS), clean scalable solutions and a higher velocity is on our radar. We are looking for passionate engineers to create flexible solutions out of modular software while removing complexity. Think micro-services, APIs, distributed systems and full stack.
"Pursuit of Excellence"
Pursuit of perfection leads to excellence. At a time when fundamentals of networking are changing, join Cisco and build networking software that scales beyond industry imaginations. Feel the power of modern modular micro-services applied to networking that orchestrate well together!
If you want to drive the next generation of networks and attain excellence with a team that powers majority of Internet today - Join Us Now!
What's In It For Me?
• Build your expertise on the best-in-class modular, fully distributed, highly available, highly secure network operating system and routing platform
• Work directly with the top customers like Google, Facebook, Comcast, Microsoft, AT&T, NTT, British Telecom, etc and learn how the world of Edge and Core networking is evolving
• Evolve IOS-XR into the new Virtualized world and be part of the journey to drive the Customers towards enabling of Virtualized Cloud based Network Services
• Lines between networking software (NOS) and application software are blurred since networking is just another application in modern times. Differentiate yourself by going above and beyond plain app software development.
• Become an Agile expert
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
@ciscocareers is #hiring #srsoftwaremanager #embeddedsystems #platformforwarding *LI-CL1
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.