The Machine Learning Kernel team within the Artificial Intelligence & Research division is redefining innovation in machine learning. Our charter: Empower every data scientist and developer to utilize the best-in-class algorithmic innovations in AI within the context of the frameworks, analytical tools or programming environments they choose to use. We work with teams across the company such as Windows, Office, Visual Studio, Azure and Microsoft Research both to reach our audience and to deliver the AI infrastructure to enhance their products. Our goal is to empower our partners and customers - from enabling Windows to become a first-class choice for optimized execution of ML algorithms, to providing developers on any platform with an unrivaled experience when it comes to integrating AI models into their applications, to building the tools that data scientists will turn to for the simplest and fastest route to train complex ML models in the cloud.
We are a fast-growing team of machine learning experts, born out of the group that built Microsoft’s internal machine learning toolkit (TLC). From building the tools that explain ML models to shipping production-grade ML algorithms that run on multiple platforms, scale to billions of examples and features, and span across numerous platforms, you’ll be balancing challenges of unsolved problems against opportunities to learn from those around you. While our ambitions are grand, we are measured by the quality and success of the tools that we build: our innovations power the algorithms in Microsoft R Server, prevent image spoofing in Windows Hello, and form the backbone of Bing’s relevance training pipeline. We are looking for an experienced engineering and research manager with a proven track-record of building high-performing teams to join us and help us realize our vision. Our team is unique in combining engineering excellence with research depth. If you have a track-record of challenging the boundaries of what is thought to be achievable in ML, leading teams through cross-organization collaborations, and managing and growing high-performing teams, then we want to hear your story.
• Demonstrate visionary technical leadership: drive a technical strategy that informs the investment portfolio of the team, balancing risk against the necessity of landing a competitive edge
• Understand the research and industry trends and be willing and able to pivot our investments to anticipate or react to the changing AI landscape
• Unlock the potential offered by a successful internal tool and transform it into a world-class external machine-learning product
• Build and maintain great partner relationships within the division and across the company; identify teams with convergent business and technical goals, and lay the foundation for long-term productive collaborations
• Hire, retain and grow a team of top-tier and motivated software and machine learning engineers and leaders, and mentor and prepare other engineering managers on the team to do the same
• Drive efficient execution against the business and technical strategy; ensure the resulting products deliver on all customer promises
• 7+ years’ of experience managing software teams
• 3+ years’ of machine learning or Data
• BS in Computer Science, Engineering or Math
• Contributions to the academic community through publications or conference presentations
• Demonstrated success building relationships and delivering results in a cross-organizational environment
The best applicants will also have:
• Shipped products with deeply-integrated machine learning technologies
• Advanced the state-of-the-art in machine learning through contributions to the academic community Experience working with large data sets and working with distributed computing tools (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Cosmos)
• Contributed to open source projects
• Entered ML competitions such as Kaggle or KDDcup with strong results
Do you have what it takes to help us shape the future of AI? Then apply now!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.