Why Work at Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
Dell/EMC Unstructured Storage is seeking a multitalented Principal Engineer to join Isilon's In-Market Engineering's Sustaining team. The In-Market Engineering team is a tight-knit and strategic part of Isilon's Software Development organization, responsible for all sustaining and critical feature work in EMC's OneFS Operating System (encompassing File Systems, Kernel, Protocols, Networking and user space). This group has worldwide coverage and serves as the face of Isilon Engineering to other groups within Dell/EMC.
This role is for a dynamic individual who wants to join an innovative, fast paced team located in Seattle redefining the storage landscape in scalable storage.
The Sustaining team takes escalations from support to identify product defects, find workarounds, document, help identify test coverage issues and delivers fixes to customers.
The ideal candidates for this position:
- Quickly learn new technologies
- Take a systems approach to understanding a problem and drive to root cause analysis and a well-defined product bug.
- Consider a customer point of view and work tirelessly towards customer stability.
- Work with people with different levels of technical knowledge from support, customers, executives in the organization and developers and articulate the issue to those levels appropriately
- Mentor others.
- Develop deep code level expertise on two components of the product
- Work to provide reproduction of customer issues
- Provide frequent, detailed status on assigned escalations until resolution
- Create product defects that define the issue discovered in the field to provide tracking of issues, and clarity for developers
- Participate in on-call rotation for non-business hours support coverage.
- When required, interface directly with customer contacts, including end-users, technical professionals, IT system administrators, and management to resolve high-visibility technical problems on mission critical systems.
- Validate support bug reports through debugging core files (gdb), reviewing packet captures, and direct code inspection. Provide guidance to development engineering on resolution of validated product bugs, provide education to support engineering on invalid bug reports.
- Create training materials and provide training classes to internal team members from support and engineering
- Help influence other parts of the organization (test, validation, dev etc.) to help improve processes and the product
- 5 -10 years' experience in enterprise systems development or sustaining engineering
- This position requires analysis of both defect reports and reading/modifying underlying source code. Real-world C knowledge and computer science fundamentals are required.
- Ability to effectively explain and communicate architecture and root-cause analysis to Global Support, and occasionally customers
- Experience implementing, designing, troubleshooting one or more of the following is highly desirable: Storage protocols (NFS, HDFS, SMB etc.), Filesystems, Unix systems (BSD is a big plus), Networking technologies
- Strong understanding of network concepts (particularly L2/L3)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and see them through to completion
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and new products
- Strong interpersonal, communication and documentation skills
- Storage industry experience considered a plus
- Experience with Java, C, C++ and Python strongly desired
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science of related field is required, Masters Degree preferred Dell
is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here .
Job Family: Engineering Development
Job ID: R17441
A little about us:
Dell is a collective of customer-focused, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities.