At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:A disciplined and innovative Software Research Engineer to join the Software Research Lab in 3M's Corporate Research Lab, located in Maplewood, MN. Here, you go.
3M's mission is to solve the unsolved, innovatively. As a 3Mer, you will be applying your skills and knowledge to bring "science and innovation to life" in diverse markets that include healthcare, energy, infrastructure, transportation, and consumer. Our teams are working on some of the world's toughest problems from preventing infections in healthcare, to readying the world for autonomous transportation. 3Mer's are inventors at heart.
3M is seeking a Software Research Engineer to join the Corporate Research Software, Electronics and Mechanical Systems (SEMS) lab, which collaborates and innovates with all of 3M's businesses and divisions. The SEMS lab is a collaborative environment with cross-functional teams responsible for designing and developing digital technologies from the hardware and electronics, to the algorithms and analytics, and the application software layer. A successful candidate will work side-by-side with scientists and engineers in broad disciplines from electronic, mechanics, software, artificial intelligence and advanced analytics.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional technical expertise and fearless creativity, be curious by nature, have a passion for learning and be comfortable in the ambiguous early-stages of technology development. They will work at all levels of the software stack, from device drivers to operating systems, core libraries to user interfaces. In return, they will work with an exceptional team to solve hard problems and learn new skills.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Analyze, design, develop and debug software solutions delivering advanced prototypes and user experiences.
- Learn constantly, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of research problem solving.
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver software solutions
- Develop software for a variety of devices, for example: novel sensing systems, tracking systems, imaging systems and haptic devices.
- Write clean readable code, debug complex problems that span systems, prioritize ruthlessly and get things done with a high level of efficiency.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in Computer Science, or related technical field
- Minimum two (2) years of programming experience in Java, or C++
- Ability to work with many languages including NodeJS, Python, Angular and others.
- Experience working in a cross-functional software development environment that includes hardware and software integration
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available.
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Knowledge of distributed systems, test driven development, SQL and NoSQL databases, and performance optimization tools
- Experience with computer vision, image processing, or 3D data processing would be a huge plus
- Expertise in various device-to-cloud and cloud-to-device communication mechanisms and protocols
- Experience with Big Data and Machine Learning
- Experience following disciplined development practices
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns.
- Excellent communication skills (written example required)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.