VCE, the Converged Platforms Division of EMC, leads the industry by offering an unmatched portfolio of converged infrastructure and hyper-converged infrastructure platforms, trusted by over 1,000 businesses and enterprise organizations around the globe to power their IT initiatives.
**Job Title:** SW Sustaining Engineer
In this role you’ll be an important part of the team responsible for the sustaining the VCE’s software product; Vision. This position is an excellent opportunity for acquiring hands-on experience in the converged and hyper-converged space while solving challenging problems and providing software development support. The successful Sustaining Engineer will have responsibility for providing high
Quality technical support by leveraging strong experience in diagnostics, troubleshooting, and code development in a complex distributed systems environment.
Qualified candidates will have Customer support experience with exposure to programming in Java, Python or Linux Shell and be capable of analyzing a system as a whole to determine potential issues and fixes. The candidate should have the ability to translate customers business needs and align them with VCE’s value proposition.
This position requires a self-starting, high-energy individual capable of multi-tasking, working with customers and providing thorough and timely communications.
**PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES**
• Provide high quality L3 support to customers and internal stakeholders.
• Independently research solutions, troubleshoot and resolve complex problems by analyzing product data.
• Strong customer facing experience is a must with focus on interpersonal skills, problem analysis and solving.
• Provides troubleshooting on WebEx or similar online meeting, conferencing application.
• Provides solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity. Use tools appropriately with technical guidance and complete tasks and assignments under normal supervision.
• Proficiency in the design, implementation, QA and maintenance of a development environment, including necessary equipment, configuration, and software.
• General knowledge of at least one mainstream language, (preferred proficiency in C, C++, or JAVA). Familiarity with scripting language, Python, Perl or Shell Scripting in Linux environment.
• Ability to read specifications (hardware, software or network).
• Follows standard engineering/test practices. Uses judgment within defined practices and procedures. Implements work-plans and schedules as assigned.
• Provide mentoring and training for new employees.
**REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:**
• BS in Computer Science or related degree or equivalent plus minimum 4 years relevant technical experience
• Prior Customer facing experience is required.
• Knowledgeable of professional software practices.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong team player and independent contributor.
**PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE**
• Proficiency in Java, Python and/or Linux shell experience is a plus.
• Knowledge of working in an agile environment a plus.
• Knowledge of J2EE related technologies such as Java, JBOSS, REST APIs, and JSON.
• General knowledge of traditional database technologies such as Postgres, Oracle
• Knowledge of NOSQL Technologies such as: Cassandra, Hadoop, Elasticsearch a plus.
• Familiarity of networking, storage, and virtualization. Familiarity with Cisco UCS, EMC storage, and VMware technologies including ESXi, vCenter is a big plus.
• Experienced with processes for testing and delivering patch releases.
When you choose our company, you join a diverse world of innovative thought leaders. At our core is a commitment to workplace diversity, the sustainability of our planet, and community corporate involvement. We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities-all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.
**Critical Hiring Criteria:**
Engineering - Software
211 - VCE
US - North Carolina - Durham