Under minimal direction, participates as the detailed design leader of the Solar Development Team to achieve department and project objectives on medium to complex projects in the solar photovoltaic market. Participates in preliminary engineering design, processes and tasks and leads detailed project analysis and design ensuring that best solutions are provided. Works with the Regional Solar Project Developer to develop high level analysis on the technical and financial elements of solar projects. Supports the team in achieving business goals by following the Solutions Playbook and best practices methodology. Responsible to establish an ongoing partnership with customers on assigned projects. PRINCIPLE DUTIES:
1. Performs lead designer and engineering duties (both DC and AC power)to determine detailed design elements of assigned solar projects.
2. Determines and specifies 208 and 480 volt electrical services, transformers, metering equipment, cable, conduit, switchboards, panel-boards, load centers, and over-current protection type systems.
3. Designs and communicates to the design team relevant local code including utility networks that are relevant to the project location.
4. Works independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners to design cost effective solutions and coordinates activities with registered Electrical and Structural Engineer consultants.
5. Expands theories to find creative low cost solutions within the confines of the code
6. Substantiates code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts .
7. Performs load calculations in medium voltage systems of 4160V to 26kV (not necessary but helpful).
8. Communicates design concepts and leads meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants
9. Collaborates with the team Project Developers to determine cost estimation of designs
10. Drives the understanding and coordination of interconnection communications with utilities
11. Managing design schedules and assists in the creation of accurate construction documents in coordination with the Project Operations team
12. Manages additional designers as needed and works in a mentorship role with less experienced team members Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering.
- Five years or more experience in detailed design, and implementation of solar projects.
- Experienced in performing solar modeling is necessary. (Example: PV Watts, PV Syst solar modeling software)
- CEM Certification or equivalent necessary. Function-specific licenses or certifications preferred (e.g., Professional Engineering license for engineering-related roles, etc.
- Demonstrated subject matter expert (SME) in solar power is necessary.
- Possess strong analytical capabilities and ability to manage tasks associated with development of projects.
- Fully competent in analysis and assessment of complete solar system.
- Demonstrated ability to drive for results, and focus on the customer & acts ethically.
- Has demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills and is comfortable working in internal and external customer-facing situations.
- Solid computer skills, including an understanding of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, and Solutions Architect.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage cost loaded schedules.
- Ability to travel approximately 25%.
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.