New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- Transforms requirements into conceptual architecture design documents
- Designs technology solutions and goals for a specific project and/or infrastructural area, in collaboration with Domain Architect and Business Analysts
- Works with and across Domain and Application Architects (including Business, Data, Information and SOA) to ensure that a solution architecture aligns and is consistent with both program/project/system design guidelines and enterprise architecture standards
- Understands and augments the conceptual architecture and design to address integrations being applied across businesses, applications, technologies and services
- Facilitates solution design discussions
- Participates as a member of the project team to ensure the optimal design solution is understood and adopted
- Provides technical guidance to project teams in their area of expertise and/or leads teams to complete projects specific to their domain
- Generates conceptual/logical architectures, system documents and risk assessments
- Responsible for ensuring the recommended design is followed through to implementation through reviews of high-level and detailed design documentation
- Proposes new technical standards to other Architects throughout NYL Technology
- Participates in the evaluation of new technologies relative to their area
- Participates in business, data, application and infrastructure planning, providing insight into the future of their area of technology
- Participates in the development of roadmaps related to their area(s) of expertise
- Creates project design artifacts to support the implementation of the future architectural vision
- Represents project teams at architecture and security review boards and assists in securing required approvals
- 10-12+ years of relevant experience within particular area of expertise
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the current and future technology architecture, including the inter-operability of technologies, within their area of expertise
- Advanced level of expertise in own discipline and knowledge of related disciplines
- Builds expertise in own domain while also developing knowledge of other domains
- Up-to-date knowledge of leading edge technologies and how it can be applied to own area
- Understanding of architecture documentation methodologies like UML
- Solid understanding of architectural design patterns specifically around mobile, database and solution design
- Proven understanding of SDLC, including Agile and Test driven methodologies
- Basic understanding of messaging infrastructure and service oriented architecture
- Strong understanding of open source platform and tools that could form building block of solution design
- Good understanding of various cloud offerings – SAAS/ PAAS / IAAS
- Basic understanding of Internet security and messaging protocols – Oauth, SAML, REST, JSON
- Basic knowledge of UI Web Stack that includes Microsoft ASP.NET, C#, AngularJS
- Basic understanding of both Relational and NoSQL databases
- Ability to collaborate effectively with business stakeholders as well as Solution Engineers
- Provides guidance and training to other IT colleagues in their area of expertise
- Interprets business challenges, identifies trends, and recommends solution alternatives and best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to tailor communication to the target audience to achieve desired results
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field and/or equivalent work experience
- Advanced degree preferred
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
**Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company’s long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.