This position is responsible for the creation and modification of applications, systems, and databases for custom developed software products and integration to third party software products in the RR Donnelley core systems group for commercial print. Participates in technical design from software requirements. Leads development (coding, code review, and unit testing) for the development team as a working lead developer under the leadership of Director IT. Represents development team in interfacing with QA team and with troubleshooting applications with business analyst team. Supports software products from the development perspective.
- This position has primary development ownership of the software products and applications for core systems group for commercial print. This person performs software development oversight and leadership to the development team which can be a combination of onshore and offshore resources. This person performs both technical leadership and hands on development.
- Analysis / Design: Analyzes technical requirements and participates in the functional design for existing and new software applications. Possesses functional skills in database table design and modifications, XML and transactional communication processing, and user interface (UI).
- Coding: Leads and performs hands on coding, unit testing, and debugging for routine to complex applications and systems. Applies structured programming techniques. Adheres to coding standards and makes recommendations for improvements to coding standards. Leads and participates in code walkthroughs.
- Testing: In delivering completed code to QA team, leads development and performs hands on unit testing ensuring that delivered code meets requirements and design and is generally and substantially free of bugs. During the QA cycle, provides technical leadership and coordination for development team in troubleshooting and fixing issues.
- Builds and Deployments: Prepares and delivers software builds for deployments.
- Technical Support: For reported issues, researches and resolves routine to complex issues with applications. Performs troubleshooting of reported issues within applications and databases in the context of the use of the application to the business workflow of the application.
- Coordination and Communication: Works with engineers in networking, infrastructure, and security to achieve designed outcomes and to resolve application issues. Works with management, business analysts, and cross functional teams in support of the applications and systems.
- Planning: Provides development timeline estimates. Provides high level rough order of magnitude (ROM) estimates in early phases of analysis. Provides detailed estimates after completion of design. Leads development team to achieve delivery of estimates.
- Systems Workflow: Within a reasonable amount of time, ascertains a fundamental understanding of the business workflow associated with the applications supported. Possesses a fundamental understanding of the functional use of the applications supported. Works closely with the application business SME (subject matter expert) for supported applications.
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.
A little about us:
Join a company changing the fast-moving world of communications, where people like, link, pin, post and share. At RR Donnelley, we do it all.