At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M's Sourcing Operations is currently seeking a Sourcing Category Specialist on our Electronics and Metals Sourcing Team located at our campus in Austin, TX. Job Summary
Sourcing Category Specialist responsible for managing global raw materials and outsourcing spend in the Electronics and Metals markets. Serves as expert in his/her area of specialization. Within area of expertise, develops solutions for multi-faceted, interrelated, and complicated problems, which require strong analytical skills and significant interpretation of data. Responsible for leading all negotiating, contracting, and lean six sigma project management efforts in assigned category areas. Responsible for providing guidance to Divisions on market activity to ensure timely purchases of raw materials, as well as providing pricing forecasts and market analysis as required. Improves business results by identifying problems and opportunities while delivering cost reduction benefits for division clients. Responsible for defining requirements and developing solutions to drive the improvement of 3M Sourcing processes. Manages the implementation of critical sourcing activities and ensures compliance to Corporate Sourcing Policy. Uses lean six sigma and various methods such as process and product understanding to optimize supply chains. Leads and manages cross-functional projects and/or focused teams to improve sourcing processes globally. Primary Responsibilities
of the role will include, but are not be limited to:
- Business Sourcing Management (BSM) duties. BSM responsibilities include Sourcing strategy development for the key business client (Division), defining Sourcing requirements for the Division from a global perspective with activates such as supplier rationalization, supply risk mitigation, and price negotiations. Additional areas of responsibility may include benchmarking, involvement in New Product Introduction (NPI) projects, and documenting/managing cost reduction and/or Lean Six Sigma programs.
- Project Implementation and Leadership: Utilize advanced negotiation skills to implement strategies and drive successful implementation and management of purchasing contracts. Manage numerous global suppliers in the development of win-win sourcing strategies. Demonstrate ability to organize and manage multiple programs concurrently. Knowledge of 3M and or industry best sourcing practices based on tools, systems and techniques (spend analysis cost opportunity techniques, benchmarking, should cost modeling etc.). Ability to develop and execute against concurrent detailed project plans. Provide client insight and experience in conveying sourcing proposals as well as managing conflict both internally and externally. Ensure compliance with the global sourcing policies and procedures. Provide category leadership that includes project management activities, business planning, work allocation and coaching. Ensure project objectives and deadlines are met. Establish close working relationship with business unit management and vendors in order to align strategies and objectives. Proactively communicate project direction and status with key country and/or business unit managers.
- Sourcing Analysis and Design: Responsible for the design and implementation of the most responsive and cost-effective supply chain in the industry to enable 3M to gain market share, grow revenue and profit, improve cash flow, and enhance customer satisfaction. Operate in a collaborative environment on a multitude of projects and assignments, ranging from procurement and supply chain management operations, logistical studies, design and test engineering programs, and support manufacturing and fulfillment operations. Identify multifaceted and complex problems to support global sourcing policy for current and future customer/business needs. Develop and recommend tactical and strategic solutions to business unit clients and management.
- Sourcing Process Improvement: Responsible for all deliverables related to strategic sourcing during proposal and contract performance for business transformation activities. Collaborate with the Divisions and other key stakeholders to draft, negotiate, and execute complex contracts with downstream suppliers. Provide ongoing supplier relationship management along with resolving contract modification requests and other contractual issues arising after initial execution. Responsible for assuring agreements receive appropriate legal reviews to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, acceptable contract terms and conditions. Identify and implement opportunities for process improvements that improve service, speed or cost, through analysis of sourcing information and metrics. Minimize the total product and process cost by leading cost reduction efforts and facilitating implementation of innovative sourcing best practices. Recognize impacts on related processes and ensure communication of issues and proposed solutions to appropriate business and process owners.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university
- Minimum (5) five combined years of sourcing and/or contract negotiations experience
- Bachelor's degree in a business related field such as business administration, Finance, logistics, or supply chain management.
- Master's degree in a business related field
- Significant project leadership and management experience with strong negotiation experience is required
- A comprehensive work history in raw materials management and/or outsourcing is a bonus
- Strategic global leader and focal point for guiding strategy, leading contract effectiveness, training on various technology platforms, supplier management, and enhancing the Electronics and Metals team capabilities
- Serve as resident expert in the area of sourcing processes and in the use and application of existing systems
- Perform other duties as assigned
May include up to 10% (domestic and international)Relocation:
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.