Monsanto Plant Breeding Innovations Intern and Co-ops receive hands-on interdisciplinary experience at one of our North American Integrated Technology Center locations. Development of improved hybrids and varieties for North American farmers requires multidisciplinary work. Plant breeders work with teams of imaging scientists, marker discovery breeders, environmental modelers, plant pathologists, and systems biologists. The main object of the co-op experience is to expose young professionals to the multidisciplinary environment of industry with the hope that it will influence their professional decisions. Plant breeding paid Co-ops require a six (6) month commitment. Dates for this Fall Co-op are June-Dec of 2017.
Please apply only if you are certain of your willingness and ability to commit to the full duration of the assignment.
Co-op candidates will work side by side with Monsanto teams during the entire cropping season, as well as conduct their own research project. Results are presented at the end of their 6-month assignment. This experience is also supplemented with seminars, networking opportunities and career discussions, as well as trips to visit marker discovery labs and other functions. It is expected that this experience will provide important career direction.
Students receive the guidance of Site Supervisors who outline general responsibilities, provide regular feedback, assist in project assignment and completion, and arrange for the student to receive opportunities to visit other functions.
Daily transportation to the Monsanto site is required and will be the responsibility of the student. Any required off-site travel will be provided by Monsanto. Extended hours can be expected during peak season; overnight travel is rare, but may be necessary.
Location for this assignment is in Stonington, IL. Required Skills/Experience:
- Current enrollment in BS, MS, or PhD program in plant science, engineering, computer science or related field
- Sophomore standing or higher, with plans to return to school to continue current or advanced program of study upon completion of this fall co-op term
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0/4.0
- Personal transportation
- Ability to pass Level 2 drivers training
- Willingness/ability to relocate for the summer if necessary
- Interest in exploring a career in agriculture
- Detail and results-orientation with the ability to work independently
- Strong motivational, organization and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.