Information SystemsJob Description
The Senior Automation Engineer reports to the Senior Manager of the Automation group. The position is responsible for providing project leadership and daily operation to the Automation Engineering Team at the Amgen Rhode Island site.
Specific duties include:
- Applies advanced engineering principles to the design and implementation of system modifications, experiments and/or capital projects; develops, organizes, analyzes and presents interpretation of results for operational issues or engineering projects of significant scope and complexity.
- Manages and/or applies extensive technical expertise in the coordination of multiple, complex, non-routine projects involving the planning, design, reconfiguration, construction, maintenance and alteration of systems, facilities or processes.
- Works closely with multiple disciplines, including manufacturing, process engineering, utility operations, maintenance, quality assurance, and validation to manage a diverse portfolio of projects.
- Provide technical support to commercial and clinical manufacturing.
- Develop and execute strategic initiatives for long-range planning and lifecycle upgrades of various Automation platforms.
- Provide mentorship to Automation Engineering team in daily operations; Troubleshoot and resolve equipment, automation or process issues in the field.
- Ensure optimal and cost-effective performance and reliability for process systems.
- Develop, organize, analyze, and present results for operational issues and engineering projects of moderate scope and complexity.
- Communicates proactively with supervisor and support staff, highlighting issues and proposing solutions.
- Provide technical support and issue resolution 24x7 on-call support of Automation systems on a rotating basis.
- Doctorate degree OR
- Master's degree and 3 years of IS experience OR
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of IS experience OR
- Associate's degree and 10 years of IS experience OR
- High school diploma / GED and 12 years of IS experience
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering or related technical field
- 5+ years' experience in engineering in a manufacturing support environment with 3+ year's experience in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industries.
- Experience with Mammalian Cell Culture, Protein Purification, Clean Utilities, CIP, SIP, Production Services and non-GMP Utilities.
- Experience with Tech Transfer, Process Design, and Commissioning
- Experience with validation and change control methodology
- Direct experience with regulated environments (i.e. cGMP, OSHA, EPA) including detailed understanding of cGMPs.
- Ability to evaluate automation systems from a compliance perspective and ensure adherence to applicable standards (i.e. 21CFR Part 11, EU Annex 11)
- Demonstrated interpersonal and facilitation skills and ability to work in a collaborative team based environment.
- Ability to apply analytical skills to evaluate and interpret complex problems using multiple sources of information
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence cross-functional teams and embrace a team-based culture
- Project management experience executing computerized system upgrades, both hardware and software, at a 24x7 manufacturing operation.
- Demonstrated experience working with Rockwell PLCs and HMIs, Siemens S7 PLCs, WinCC SCADA, Rockwell FactoryTalk HMI, Andover Controls Building Management System, IFIX SCADA, DeltaV DCS and OSI PI historian.
- Familiarity with virtual infrastructure using VMware and understanding the integration between virtual and physical systems. In addition to knowledge of Windows active directory management.
- Direct hands on experience with lifecycle management of Rockwell software and infrastructure preferred; Factory Talk View, Panelview, Control Logix, SLC, and instrumentation bus technologies (Devicenet, Profibus, and Fieldbus).
HJUS2016 Join Us If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
A little about us:
Amgen values the leadership, skills and passion for serving that veterans exemplify and our constant commitment to hiring the best starts here.