Are you looking for an opportunity to expand your software knowledge across multiple technologies? Interested in joining one of the largest state-of-the art centralized application development operations in the insurance industry. We have a team of more than 900 people uncovering better ways to develop software. We work in an Agile environment which creates not only defined best practices but an avenue to grow and enhance software knowledge. To top it off, ComputerWorld named Nationwide one of the best IT places to work in 2016.
Nationwide's cutting-edge Software Development Solutions team is staffing for a Scrum Master. We're looking for 5+ years of experience working as a Scrum Master leading and facilitating a wide array of software development activities. We may choose to fill this role at a Consultant or Specialist level. Experience working in an Agile environment and exposure across multiple disciplines including development, requirements analysis and Scrum is a plus.
1. Facilitates Scrum cadence (e.g., retrospective, daily standups and show-and-tell meetings) to encourage collaboration, communication and feedback within an agile software development team; promotes a learning culture on the line and challenges the line to be innovative
2. Monitors agile software development line progress using historical data, observations, and experiences to achieve iteration goals and commitments; leads the agile line to deliver high-quality solutions
3. Remove impediments to the Development Team's progress; communicates obstacles requiring outside resolution to the stakeholders
1. Identifies, based on software development experience, any risks and issues that might have an impact on delivery; facilitates a mitigation strategy for risks that affect the line
2. Facilitates effort or design estimates with the line to support iteration, release and software delivery in support of projects, enhancement and defect correction, as assigned
3. Collaborates with the line leads to provide guidance to the line in the areas of analysis, design, development and testing, and ensures that best practices are leveraged
4. Ensures line receives coaching to uplift skills across all domains and practices-leading to a self-organized and cross-functional line
5. Ensures the line has everything needed to plan and execute the next increment of work
6. Works closely with Business Application Owner and/or Application Owner to prioritize the backlog to maximize value
7. Collaborates with the stakeholders to create transparency into the line activities and progress through appropriate tools
8. Drives line performance to deliver high-quality solutions by eliminating waste and fostering an environment of continuous improvement, including facilitating decision-making, conflict management and protecting the line from outside forces and distractions
9. Continuously improves software delivery capabilities by identifying industry standards, adopting agile practices, collaborating and coaching across lines
10. Helps the team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items
11. Collaborates with stakeholders to manage demand and capacity
12. Ensures build-to-run transition and warranty support activities occur
13. Collaborates, as part of release planning, with operations to deliver software in stable environments more often
• Minimum 8 years of technical work experience in an information technology domain
• Four or more years of experience working in an agile software development environment
• Two or more years of experience leading an agile software development team including an emphasis on coaching teams on Lean and Agile concepts. Deep understanding of agile practices and values.
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; specialty health; pet, motorcycle, boat and farm insurance. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
JOB SUMMARY: With full competency, devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents those programs. Competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of applications programming activities.RELATIONSHIP: Manager/DirectorJOB RESPONSIBILITIES1. Develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new and modifying existing software applications that are more complex with full competency.2. Analyzes and validates complex system requirements and existing business processes and information systems. Designs, develops and implements new programs and/or modifications of existing applications. Responsible for the more complex designs, prototypes and other methodologies for new and/or existing systems including the development and implementation of test plans and program specifications with various interfaces.3. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents and implements complex software applications according to standards.4. Defines and develops specifications and programs complex technical modules, applications, prototypes and computer programs.5. Assists in leading all aspects of applications programming and development including file design, update, storage and retrieval.6. Evaluates and provides technical solutions to complex application development problems.7. May coordinate activities of a project team and assist in monitoring project schedules and costs.8. May act as a technical programming consultant for small-scale projects that include multiple product lines and various interfaces.9. Performs other duties as assigned.JOB REQUIREMENTS:Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, mathematics or related field is preferred.Experience: Six years of experience in programming and systems analysis. Project management experience is preferred.Knowledge: Must have proven knowledge in computer programming language. Must have a thorough understanding in systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Must have a thorough understanding in systems analysis and design techniques. Must have extensive knowledge of the systems development life cycle. Understanding of project management concepts and techniques required.Skills/Competencies: Must have the ability to analyze complex applications and systems. Must be able to program complex systems requiring minimal interfaces. Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Must have strong decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation. Must have written and oral communication skills to prepare and communicate programming plans and procedures as well as to interact with all levels within the company.Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Director and HR OfficerJOB CONDITIONS:Overtime Eligibility: Not EligibleWorking Conditions: Normal office environment. Associates may have on-call responsibility after normal working hours and/or on weekends.ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.Credit Check: Not ApplicableSafety Sensitive (SS): Not ApplicableJob Evaluation Activity: Evaluated: MDK (12-22-03)Job Family/Function: MIS/TAP
A little about us:
Great culture. Great people. Great opportunities. Join us today and help protect what matters most.