Corporate Accounting: The Corporate Accounting team is responsible for the general accounting activities associated with various SG&A expenses including Payroll and Fringe Expense, Bonus, Self-insurance reserves, Advertising, Interest and Debt, Supply Chain and other store operating expenses. The Senior Accountant is a key role in that they are the first line of defense in maintaining accurate accounting at The Home Depot for their assigned accounts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Responsible for ensuring assigned accounts are accurate and in compliance with US GAAP and internal accounting policies.
- Active participant in accounting processes throughout the month and in the monthly close process including:
- Preparation of reclassification, accrual, allocation, amortization and other adjusting general ledger entries necessary to close the period
- Income Statement and Balance Sheet variance analysis
- Prepare Balance Sheet Account Reconciliations in compliance with internal policies
- Prepare Audit requests and other schedules to support the Annual and Quarterly external reporting cycles
- Prepare Ad-hoc reporting and other requests
- Works with business partners as necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
- Position will be required to take a leadership role in departmental training and development and be committed to working in a team-oriented environment
- Identifies and owns process improvements and other projects from beginning to end
Nature and Scope
This position typically reports to an Accounting Supervisor.
No associates report to this role on a permanent basis, but requires effective collaboration within a work group.
Environmental Job Requirements
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Experience in Financial System conversion including Data Migration and Application Integration.
- Candidate must be a pro-active self-starter with solid time management skills.
- Must have the ability to handle changing priorities, multi-task outside primary areas of responsibility, establish good business relationships, work directly with management, and have demonstrated leadership ability to manage departmental projects and/or initiatives.
- Expected to handle confidential company financial and operational information in a responsible manner.
- CPA, CPA track or International equivalent preferred
- 2+ years of Accounting/General Ledger experience, Real Estate construction or operations is a +
- Background should include monthly close, account reconciliation preparation, P&L review, variance analysis, and process improvements.
- Proven analytical, problem identification and resolution skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Financial Analysis and Financial Acumen
- Effective Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Computer application skills such as Microsoft Office Suite, SAP or other large ERP system, Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC), Account Reconciliation tools, Winshuttle, Tableau, etc.
- Must be able to multi-task and balance multiple high-priority tasks
We recognize that military members are adept, motivated and hardworking. That’s why we made a commitment in 2012 to hire 55,000 veterans in 5 years!