This position within the Corporate Risk Management - AML Investigations team is responsible for reviewing automated and manual referrals of Discover Bank clients and accounts for unusual activity. Individuals in this role must possess strong analytical skills as well as knowledge of banking, fraud, and risk. This individual must demonstrate a strong knowledge of the Bank Secrecy Act and the USA PATRIOT Act as well as a thorough understanding of FinCEN guidance pertaining to AML investigations and the red flags for potential money laundering or terrorist financing. Attention to detail, strong writing skills and the ability to work in a sensitive, deadline-driven environment are a must.
- Participating in and/or leading projects, initiatives, committees, etc. which serve to enhance the teams process and effectiveness
- Conducting Quality Control (QC) reviews for cases, SARs, and alerts
- Assessing the effectiveness of internal procedures and policies and making change recommendations to ensure emerging industry risks are appropriately mitigated
- Investigating complex, sensitive, and/or significant AML risks and filing SARs as the result of the investigative work
- Providing constructive feedback to AML Analysts & Investigators with respect to the quality of case escalations, trends and issues, or best practices in order to assist in the continued development of the alert analysis process
- Preparing Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) and other written investigative/intelligence products to support judgements, decisions, and recommendations
- Constructing a robust written narrative to support investigations in accordance with strict quality standards
- Responding in writing and/or verbally to urgent requests from Management with the utmost expediency
- Serving as a back-up to the Team Manager, ensuring day-to-day tasks are completed if Team Manager is out of office
- Participating in AML related discussions with Senior Management from the various lines of business
- Actively participating in internal and external training opportunities, team and departmental meetings, and industry peer groups in order to maintain advanced awareness of AML risk, industry standards, policy & procedure changes, etc.
- Communicating clearly, both written and verbally, with individuals in and outside of Discover (e.g. fraud teams, collections teams, Law Enforcement, individuals at other Financial Institutions, etc.)Serving as subject matter experts for peers and more junior investigators on the team, as well as mentoring/guiding those individuals
- Escalating issues and risks to management where appropriate
- Promoting a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
Skills Skills Required:
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- 1+ years business writing experience
- 5+ years previous Fraud and/or AML investigation experience
- Experience with Actimize transaction monitoring software preferred
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Previous SAR filing experience
- CAMS certification preferred
- Previous process improvement and/or project management experience preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.