Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Senior Corporate Counsel (Operations) is responsible for managing legal matters related to the Company’s business of delivering waste and recycling services to commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers.
**Knowledge, Skills & Abilities**
• Provides legal and professional support related to two or more of the Company’s operational areas on a full range of legal matters, including claims, demands, investigations, litigation, administrative and business law, contracts, market planning and development, employment, environmental, health and safety, real estate, regulatory, and other matters.
• Provides legal and professional support to Company personnel in the corporate office regarding a range of operational support and related matters.
• Reviews, analyzes, and contributes to the negotiation, drafting and modification of various types of contracts and other transactional legal documents.
• Drafts and otherwise contributes to reports to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer, senior management, auditors, and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
• Prepares legal budgets and recommends legal reserves.
• Selects and manages outside counsel and internal legal staff.
• Provides training to management and corporate and field personnel.
• Assists with policies and procedures relating to Company operations, Legal Department administration, and other matters.
• Overnight travel may be required.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• JD; licensed to practice law and in good standing (required).
• Minimum of six years of experience as a practicing attorney (required).
• Eight or more years of experience performing the types of legal work listed above (preferred).
• Experience working in a large, multi-state corporate or legal environment.
• In-house counsel experience.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local statutes and regulations applicable to publicly-traded organizations.
• Experience advising clients in a unionized environment.
• Ability to analyze case law and provide recommendations.
• A proven track record demonstrating the ability to independently make decisions regarding complex legal and corporate issues.
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
• Outstanding organizational, time management, and problem solving skills.
• Strong collaboration skills.
• Excellent judgment.
• High integrity.
**Rewarding Compensation and Benefits**
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
A little about us:
The dramatic growth and high performance of Republic Services is an American success story we’re proud of.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.