The Hartford Financial Services Group is seeking an inventive Data Engineer with a strong understanding of data architecture, principles of ETL and Data Warehousing such as Fact Tables, Dimension Tables, Star / Snowflake Schemas, SCD, CDC. In this role the candidate will join both our Data Scientist and data science community as a partner in designing, developing, and implementing Predictive Modeling and Operational Analytic solutions. This individual will bring with them a creative solution design approach to data exploration and discovery. In many cases the Data Engineer will be asked to take the lead position as a researcher in solving the jig saw puzzle of data exploration without having the box top for directions.
You will partner closely with the Data Scientist and the customers as the expert resource in providing data, business, and technical support for a wide range of operational solutions, which include underwriting, claim, operations, and digital analytics. You should have the skills of a data research expert and be able to work in an iterative collaborative way in balancing the solution with the technical outcome.
This position combines business and technical skills involving interaction with business customers, research staff, internal and external data suppliers, Information Technology experts, and a wide variety of Hartford personnel at all levels in support of quantitative research, predictive modeling, operational business intelligence, and data mining projects for Predictive Modeling and Operational Analytics.
* Work closely with Research Modelers, external and internal data suppliers throughout The Hartford in analyzing data sources.
* Evolve and maintain a position as a subject matter data expert, defining business requirements, providing data, and assisting in high level data analysis.
* Perform data asset adoption activities, with internal and external customers, including presentations to all levels of management, training, use case development, and consulting activities.
* Identify areas of opportunity to improve or enhance existing data processes
* Understand the relationship between the data and the business process, and employ communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
* Identify internal and third party data sources.
* Analyze data sources for availability and quality
* Lead the analysis of source systems and provide business solutions
* Partner with the Data Scientist in completing high level data analysis.
* Create and follow a strategic plan and report progress to management
Experience & Skills
1. Candidates must have the technical skills to transform, manipulate and store data, the analytical skills to relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
2. Experience accessing and retrieving data from disparate large data sources
3. Experience with data modeling, data warehousing tools and databases (e.g. Python, Hadoop, SAS, ETL, Big Data, ORACLE, and Hive)
4. Ability to analyze source systems and provide business solutions
5. Determine business solutions and translate into actionable steps
6. Experience in creating and tuning SQL Queries
7. Experience with Indexes and basic Data Base Design
8. Self-starter with a willingness to become a data expert.
9. Demonstrate a passion to both learn new skills and lead discovery of the data research
10. Results oriented with the ability to multi-task and adjust priorities when necessary
11. Ability to work both independently and in a team environment with internal /external customers
12. Bachelor degree or equivalent experience in related field required
13. Ability to articulate and train technical concepts regarding data to a both data scientist and to customers
Behaviors at the Hartford
1. Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
2. Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
3. Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
4. Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD