GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
As the Sr. Data Engineer for the Finance IT Data Lake team, you will be responsible for driving actions to day-day maintenance and operations of big data applications and platforms with a special focus on Presto, database administration and performance improvements, while driving simplification and productivity for their suite of services.
The candidate will collaborate closely with architects and ops developers within the Finance IT team along with other technical teams within the Software COE to ensure optimal performance for and scalability for the Data Lake Presto and Hadoop ecosystems including additional in memory analytics applications as they are introduced.
• Provide strong technical leadership for the Data Lake production environments including Presto, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Greenplum, and other big data in memory technologies.
• Lead Finance Data Lake platform performance tuning, scalability, and maintenance for the Finance IT team, partnering with IT Program managers, client leaders, end-users and business stakeholders, to drive simplification and IT operations SLAs.
• Accountable for operational excellence, with duties including production release reviews, incident management, prioritization, execution & closure for all operations work.
• Drive strategy and growth across operations through integration, adoption and simplification of IT solutions.
• Evaluate emerging technologies for performance improvement and monitoring to help world class operations and end user experience.
• Drive and expand Finance Data Lake adoption and downstream services through improved scalability, standardization and global support initiatives.
• Champion large-scale process and technology improvement efforts, to provide mutually acceptable, cost effective IT solutions.
• Engage proactively with Software COE, platform teams and vendors to maintain and improve infrastructure stability, plan and test upgrades and patches.
• Establish quality methodologies and identify opportunities to improve internal processes, application availability and performance.
• Support, advise, assist, guide and resolve IT issues for client leaders and end-users.
• Prepare and present operations plans, status reports, and metrics for leadership review.
• Manage budgets, resources, and contracts associated with Data Lake platforms.
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering/Computer Science degree or related field.
• 5+ years of experience with BI/Data Management & Big Data tech stack including HDFS framework, Greenplum, Talend, HVR, Reporting architecture & Analytics etc.
• 1+ year of experience with configuring and tuning Pesto in a production environment
• 5+ years of experience in a data-driven environment with focus on performance tuning, real-time, high volume processing and Finance systems.
• 5+ years of experience in managing production environments and teams and delivering on time and budget.
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
• Experience hands on implementing, tuning and operating Hadoop software stack.
• Experience with open source or Teradata distribution or Presto db
• Prior experience with Data Warehousing, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Big Data technologies.
• Experience of working in a shared services model.
• Functional understanding of financial systems and ERP software.
• Strong inclination towards Big Data and open source technologies to drive optimization and innovation.
• Strong team player, collaborates well with others to solve problems and actively incorporates input from various sources.
• Ability to identify potential problems, determine and implement solutions.
• Excellent leadership, organization, problem solving, communication and facilitation skills.
• Demonstrated customer focus, evaluates decisions through the eyes of the customer, builds strong customer relationships and creates processes with customer viewpoint.
• Change oriented, actively generates process improvements, supports and drives change, and confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways.
• Awareness about service oriented architecture.
• Six Sigma / ITIL certified.
• ITLP graduate.
Locations: United States; Michigan; Van Buren Township
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.