The Database Systems Architect (DSA) develops and executes an integrated architectural view of, and strategy for, enterprise-wide database infrastructure technology solutions. This includes, but is not limited to, experience with High Performing and Highly Available Database Topologies, Database Platform and Storage Technologies, System Management and Monitoring Tools, Cloud Services, Big Data, Datacenter Facilities and Business Continuity Designs.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
* Develops and maintains an integrated Enterprise Database Architecture view and reference architectures of the current and future state of critical and important database products
* Evaluates current infrastructure to detect critical deficiencies, recommends solutions for improvement and documents all architecture design and analysis work
* Develops and maintains 5 year database infrastructure and technology roadmap based on business objectives, business value, risks, industry trends, innovation, expanding capability, and future state technology
* Drives database technology innovation, concept assessments, industry benchmarking analysis, risk analysis, business case development and approval for new technology and strategies that could benefit the company
* Collaborates with technology vendors and industry peers to identify strategic and innovative uses of database technology to drive operational excellence and profitability of the company
* Provides thought leadership and guidance to both management and AD partners on information systems, their roadmaps, their functionalities, costs, benefits, and implementation requirements
* Promotes and facilitates effective communication and strong working relationships among application development, business technology leadership and our strategic technology partners to better understand business directions, drivers and requirements
The ideal candidate will have the following soft skills:
* Ability to define, articulate and lead enterprise architecture discussions within a diverse group of stakeholders, including: project managers, business clients, systems engineers and senior leadership
* Strong business acumen that enables the ability to develop strategy, process capabilities, and enabling database technologies
* Ability to communicate, lead and influence appropriately at all levels of the organization
* Strong situational analysis and decision making skills
* Excellent leadership and consultative skills including teamwork, facilitation, and negotiation
* Ability to coordinate (with both project management and engineering) major systems events such as infrastructure upgrades, database upgrades, patching, application upgrades, load tests and deployments
* Must foster and inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity by demonstrating and valuing differences in others strengths, perspectives, approaches and personal choices
* Reasonably stable work history and excellent work ethic are musts
* Knowledge of the Financial Services industry and related regulatory compliance
* Recommends appropriate database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business
* Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
* Bachelor's Degree
* 10+ years of IT experience in developing, implementing, managing and directing multiple projects in large scale database infrastructure systems
* 5+ years of experience delivering enterprise database architecture solutions by:
- Applying architectural principles, methods, and tools
- Defining solution and architecture roadmaps and product life cycle plans
- Evaluating new database technologies, applications or platforms and developing proof of concepts
- 5+ years of experience developing and/or deploying large scale database infrastructure technologies and applications
- 2+ years of experience in strategic planning, business case development and estimating solution alternatives and impacts
- Experience in developing, articulating, and building support around a long-term vision (big picture) and delivering concepts with quantifiable business value in support of that vision
- Expert knowledge of database system performance and availability, database technologies and tools, excellent analytical ability, judgment and problem analysis techniques
- Strong knowledge of key infrastructure technologies such as: Database (Oracle, DB2, MSSQL, MySQL, Teradata, NOSQL, In Memory), Cloud Services (DaaS, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), Datacenter Facilities, Business Continuity, Networking (LAN, WAN, InfiniBand, 10gbe), Platform and Storage Technologies (UNIX, LINUX, Windows, SAN), Office Productivity Tools, Enterprise Content Management (SharePoint), Big Data (Hadoop)
Since Discover launched in 1986, we've made a business of redefining the credit card industry for the better. We were first to have no annual fee, first to offer cash rewards, first to provide 24/7 customer service, and we rank #1 in customer loyalty. As a Fortune 500 company, we strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can contribute in a way that's different from other large institutions. If you're looking for a place to make a difference and let your voice shine through, we'd love to meet you.
Apply today at discover.com/careers.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
#LI-VF1 We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.