GE Oil & Gas
Oil & Gas Digital
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Sr Director - Software Engineering
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
We are looking for a highly motivated & passionate technology executive to join GE Oil & Gas Digital team. As the Senior Director, GE Digital, this role will focus on driving and delivering extremely impactful and innovative products for GE Digital mainly in the areas of Analytics Frameworks & Data Management. The candidate will be responsible for leading a squad of highly talented and motivated multi-disciplinary software teams of developers (front-end, back-end, mobile, web).
You will be responsible for the development and delivery of software products that conform to world class technology principles and maximize re-use and commercial opportunity. You will work closely with Product Management & Strategy teams to arrive at the overall strategy & delivery plans of various features in the Asset Performance Management (APM) suite of products.
As Senior Director, you will:
* Lead multiple software development teams across the globe to deliver committed features.
* Motivating these teams to be innovative, agile and quality aware for a timely release of product features.
* Manage other Software Development Managers and Individual Contributor
* The leader is both a technical leader within the function and also is responsible for developing and coaching his/her employees within the function
* Work with product strategy & product management teams to conceptualize new products and features. And jointly arrive at plans to satisfy customer needs.
* Be able to influence from both a strategic and technical standpoint across the function and business.
* Ability to influence at the peer level is key.
* Take lead on new technology initiatives, and working with the Predix/infrastructure teams to define requirements for them, which will help deliver value to our customers.
* Optimize and define new processes and tools, to enable large scale enterprise-grade software development.
* Overall be seen as a champion within the organization, possessing strong cross-functional collaboration and influencing skills.
* Provide coaching, feedback, developmental opportunities, etc. to direct/indirect reports within broader team.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
* A minimum of 15+ years of software development experience along with established leadership across the discipline and function.
* Minimum of 5 years of managing multiple Software Development Managers, preferably in an agile development environment
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
* Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
* Must be willing to travel roughly 10% of the time
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in San Ramon, CA
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Expertise in technical project management and a proven track record for delivering projects on time with limited budget and resources
* Experience working with offshore engineering teams
* Strong distributed systems and architecture knowledge, and experience with multitier architecture
* Mission critical systems experience is preferred
* Ability to manage complex technical projects.
* Demonstrates expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
* Demonstrated experience of delivering on commitments to clients.
* Demonstrates capability of 'rolling up sleeves and getting hands dirty'.
* Works well in fast paced growing environment.
* Provides excellent influential communication skills and business acumen to both an arbitrator and advocate for technical issues.
* Experience developing applications in an agile/DevOps environment would be a distinct advantage, including previous experience of writing code
* Experience working in a Java web development shop
* Solid understanding of software development tools & infrastructure
* Effective teaming and problem solving abilities
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
* Able to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and external customers
* Experience working directly with Cloud providers/infrastructure (AWS, Azure etc.), database technologies, operating systems (Windows, Linux) and orchestration tools (Chef, puppet)
* Proven track record of strong people management within at least one discipline and or expertise within the discipline.
* Strong cross functional collaboration and influencing skills at high levels
* Ability to make decisions that have deep impact.
* Spearheads adoption of industry standards within the company; and evangelizes shared best practices and estimation techniques across teams at GE.
* Guides, influences and determines decisions regarding companywide adoption of new technologies.
* Evangelizes modern technologies to development teams, stakeholders and GE executives.
* Prior experience with working across the full technology stack, including the use of Cloud Foundry and micro-services architecture
* Prior experience launching a SaaS product for commercialization
* Experience of managing large (25+ people) geographically distributed engineering team
* Strong business analysis and problem solving skills
* Evaluates products & processes to assure compliance.
* Measures the impact of trends (cyclical or a shift) and takes action relative to product value position and overall strategy
* Ability to interact at all levels of the organization and with other GE businesses
* Ability to work with cross-functional teams to help build effective processes
* Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
* Articulates the story, uses two way communication and influences outcomes and ongoing results
* Strong oral and written communication skills including executive level presentation skills
* Effectively directs and mentors others in critical thinking skills
* Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions using critical thinking and analytical skills and best practices
* Influences and energizes others toward the common vision and goal.
* Maintains excitement for a process and drives to new directions of meeting the goal in the face of unfavorable odds and setbacks
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.