Sr.Internal Staff Auditor
Company: Hospital Corporation of America
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posted: December 08, 2017
Reference ID: 10201-23003
HCA, a Fortune 100 company with more than 200,000 employees, is one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, operating over 170 locally managed hospitals and over 100 freestanding surgery centers in 20 states and the United Kingdom. With its founding in 1968, HCA created a new model for hospital care in the United States, using combined resources to strengthen hospitals, deliver patient-focused care and improve the practice of medicine. HCA is a learning healthcare system that uses more than 27 million annual patient encounters to advance science, improve patient care and save lives. HCA has been named one of the world's most ethical companies for eight years in a row. At HCA, we are driven by a single goal: the care and improvement of human life.
The HCA Internal Audit Department provides an independent appraisal function to validate management control systems and to support corporate management in the effective discharge of their responsibilities and efforts to achieve the Company's overall mission. The HealthTrust Audit Team ensures vendor compliance with the terms and conditions of supply, equipment, service and pharmaceutical contracts by identifying and recovering price overbillings and fee/rebate underpayments to help reduce supply costs for HealthTrust and CoreTrust members
• Develops a project plan and helps prepare/modify detailed programs according to the contract terms.
• Manages project due dates and escalates potential project delays and causes to supervisor and/or HealthTrust management.
• Responsible for managing multiple projects at varying stages, maintaining appropriate prioritization, and staying abreast of each project's status at any given time.
• Identifies opportunities to improve audit effectiveness and efficiency.
• Obtains an understanding of vendor billing processes through interviews with vendor management, review of the terms/conditions in the contract, and analysis of vendor provided data.
• Develops an audit approach based on the associated contract risk areas and the data received from the vendor.
• Collaborates with vendor management throughout the audit process as audit challenges arise, such data limitations.
• Performs audit procedures to determine price overcharges and rebate/fee underpayments for contracted items using vendor-provided data, member purchase data, and related contract terms.
• Demonstrates strong analytical skills necessary to review large amounts of data for accuracy and root cause analysis.
• Advanced excel skills are necessary for audit testwork and root cause analysis.
• Demonstrates teamwork by cooperating with all team members, willingness to share information, receiving constructive feedback positively, and accepting additional assignments when appropriate.
• Prepares written communications such as correspondence with vendor throughout the audit process and prepares the audit report/invoice.
• Prepares clearly documented workpapers that will be reviewed by external vendor personnel for corroboration with the audit issues.
• Communicates detail audit results (with supporting documentation if necessary) to vendor in a clear, concise format to obtain vendor verification and concurrence.
• Discusses complex issues and resolves disputed audit issues by interacting with vendor management, HealthTrust management and HealthTrust legal personnel.
• Continually develops technical accounting, auditing, and personal development skills in accordance with the department's continuing education/professional development requirements.
• Maintains a thorough understanding of increasingly complex accounting and auditing concepts.
• Keeps informed of professional standards and Company/department policies and procedures.
• Stays abreast of general business and economic developments. Gains an understanding of healthcare industry, particularly the risks involved with the areas of Group Purchasing Organizations and contracted vendors.
• Assists with other educational and administrative matters (e.g. professional development programs, process improvement team initiatives, recruiting efforts, and special projects).
SPECIFIC AUDITS PERFORMED
• Pharmacy Audits (validate pricing accuracy)
• Failure to Supply Audits (analyze drug shortages and submit claims)
• Med/Surg Audits (validate pricing, fee, and freight accuracy, test membership completeness)
• Special Projects (HealthTrust management requests)
• College graduate
• CPA preferred (CPA eligibility required)
• Ability to quickly learn various department computer-based audit tools, data analytics tools, and advanced excel skills
• Good communication skills (oral and written)
• Ability to work well with deadlines and related time pressure
• One week of travel for training seminar required
• 2-3 years experience (audit and/or healthcare preferred)