About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
We have an exciting opening for a Senior Group Leader, Mass Spectrometry in our Biosimilars Pharmaceutical Sciences/Protein Characterization R&D Organization in Lake Forest, Illinois. The position requires a technically capable, fully independent and motivated scientist to move projects forward and take personal responsibility to ensure that projects stay on schedule. In a key strategic role, this individual will be responsible for developing mass spectrometry methods for the detailed characterization of Hospira's biologics pipeline molecules.
This individual will lead:
• The development of state-of-the-art mass spectrometry methods (i.e. intact, subunit, peptide map for sequence confirmation and impurity, host-cell protein identification, glycan identification, H/D Exchange) that inform the high level characterization of biopharmaceuticals
• The qualification of the protein characterization methods (including mass spectrometry) that are reproducible, scientifically sound and suitable for intended use
• Planning and execution of protein characterization methodology to support biopharmaceutical development (i.e. biosimilarity, elucidation of structure, impurity characterization, comparability studies)
• Preparation of analytical reports and relevant sections of global regulatory submissions to enable clinical trials and product registration.
In addition, s/he will be responsible for:
• Collaborating with Hospira's Bioanalytical Sciences laboratories, and/or third party laboratories to establish analytical methods to support characterization testing
• Communicating scientific results and strategies effectively in presentations and written reports
• Maintaining current knowledge of emerging technologies in the area of bioanalytical science and recognize opportunities to apply the knowledge to Hospira biologics programs or through patents and publications
• Leading or participating in functional and cross functional teams to advance the biosimilar product pipeline and promote the scientific advancement of Biosimilar Pharmaceutical Sciences
• Master's Degree required; Ph.D. preferred
• Five to eight (5 to 8) years of relevant experience in the biotechnology industry developing monoclonal antibodies
• Direct experience in the development of state of the art mass spectrometry characterization methods for biopharmaceuticals that have been included in product submissions
• Experience in the biotechnology industry working on the application of these methods toward therapeutic protein development is required
• Capable of independently drafting scientific reports that summarize experimental details and results
• Prior experience supervising direct reports and developing talent
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and the ability to work well in cross functional teams is required
Other Information - Internal
System limitations prevent mutual participation in cross-company (the company - legacy Hospira) Employee Referral Programs at this time; thank you for your patience
Colleagues who are issued any type of progressive disciplinary action on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date disciplinary action is issued
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.