Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
We are creating a world where 'payments' is synonymous with PayPal. The PayPal Platform is a suite of web services, which are used by internal and external developers to enable payments anytime, anywhere and anyway. The Platform processes billions of requests, and enables PayPal and its partners to rapidly innovate on new payment scenarios and enable new experiences. Therefore, the evolution of the Platform is integral to PayPal's long-term strategy.
As an engineer in our development team you will be responsible for helping to build a payments engine that does real-time processing for millions of payments every single day for merchants that you probably shop at. You will work closely with product and experience and/or integration teams to understand the developer needs and deliver the core payments functionality that meets their backend needs. You can expect to get better every day and to be constantly challenged with interesting technical problems due to the size, scale and scope of the problems we need to solve on the bleeding edge of the payments space. You are also responsible for Quality in your team - Test Planning, Test execution and Test Automation. You'll work in an Agile environment with a focus on problem solving and engineering excellence.
• Experience in developing high performance, scalable and highly available web services using J2EE and frameworks such as RESTEasy and Jersey
• Comfortable using application server frameworks, for example Tomcat & JBOSS
• Knowledge of object-oriented design and design patterns, and programming skills
• Experience in designing, developing and delivering software and/or platforms for used by other developers
• Should be a strong advocate of good coding standards and like the use of coding tools that will push to improve the delivered code like Sonar.
• Good at identifying performance bottlenecks and use good coding patterns to avoid them in the first place.
• Good understanding of web services and SOA related standards like REST/OAuth/JSON and SOAP/WSDL.
• Excellent knowledge of programming languages, especially Java
• Proficiency with at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, Unix Shell Script etc.)
• Knowledge of SQL or PL/SQL
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Familiarity with Java/J2EE Technologies like JDBC, JSP, Spring MVC, JSTL, Struts, Hibernate, SOAP, RESTful
• Familiarity with GIT,Mock, Continuous Integration systems (Hudson/Jenkins) & Bug Tracking (Jira) tools
• Proficiency with XML/XSL frameworks
• Experience with using Agile/Scrum methodology for software development
• 12 + years software development experience
• BS in Computer Science or related degree required. MS preferred
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
A little about us:
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.