Every second a plane takes off with UTC Aerospace Systems equipment onboard. From space exploration and defense to today's more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft - our systems make modern flight possible. And by "make it possible," we mean: we start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quiet it, land it, stop it and monitor it. We have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation. Thanks to their efforts, our global reach and our market-leading position, we do big things no one else can do.
As part of the Sensors & Integrated Systems (SIS) team, you'll help develop the next generation of more intelligent, more integrated and more reliable solutions that enhance aircraft safety and performance in the most rigorous flight conditions. We have 100 years of experience, a phenomenal product portfolio, state-of-the-art test labs and the resources to make your ideas shine. Come soar with us.
The primary objective of this Liaison Engineering position is to function as an on-site representative of the Design Engineering team in support of ice protection product lines at the SIS West Virginia manufacturing facility. This role supports both new product introduction and sustaining engineering. New Product Introduction supports preliminary design, detailed design and validation/verification phases of these programs. Sustaining Engineering roles include design related support activity associated with field service issues, reduction of Cost of Poor Quality and manufacturing-centric Continuous Improvement to facilitate business goals.
Examples of specific responsibilities include:
- Working with production to coordinate fabrication of prototype, conformity and qualification test articles as required by program development schedules.
- Supporting production readiness activity on NPI programs as development and qualification near completion.
- Resolving quality issues that arise during development or production transition by revision of design documentation.
- Supporting completion of First Article Inspections and Conformity Inspections in accordance with program development schedules or customer need.
- Supporting Design Engineering Reports, Returned Goods evaluations, and Quality Notices (Corrective Action Reports).
- Working on behalf of Design Engineering to interpret design requirements as they apply to manufacturing with the manufacturing engineering and production teams.
- Identifying and helping instituting improvements for Cost of Poor Quality issues.
- Creating and checking design documentation such as drawings (with assistance of a draftsperson as needed), specifications and acceptance test procedures.
- Providing customer support pertaining to questions about our manufacturing materials/processes for products (documentation, reports, and applications).
- Supporting proposal efforts with preliminary design, product costs, tooling concepts, and prototypes.
- Serving on formal & informal Continuous Improvement teams, including but not limited to Lean, Kaizen, Continuous Improvement, and 5-S groups.
Ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate experience working hands on in a manufacturing environment bringing newly developed products to a sustained level of production.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task, remain organized and complete objectives on time.
- Be capable of performing technical assignments in support of new product design, production implementation and troubleshooting activities involving various materials and mechanical processes while also providing thorough documenting of activities performed.
- Have a solid understanding of basic mechanical engineering principles along with a general knowledge of electrical engineering principles.
- Possess practical, hands-on skills and an ability to work collaboratively with production personnel.
- Have a good understanding of fabrication processes and demonstrate the ability to resolve design issues that surface in the new product introduction process.
Highly preferred qualifications:
- Ability to multi-task, remain organized and complete objectives on time.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and deliver meaningful results.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams as required.
- Good understanding of automated and manual manufacturing processes and demonstrated ability to resolve issues that surface in initial product development.
- Elastomeric and composite materials experience a plus.
Position may require direct contact with customers and suppliers. Travel is required, 5% on average but possibly as high as 15%. Travel may include international destinations. Education: Typical Educational Requirements:
- BA/BS degree w/4-7+ years experience
- MA/MS degree w/2-5+ years experience
- PhD degree w/0-2+ years experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.