The HR Consultant (HRC) serves as a proactive advisor to our executive committee for finance and law helping them to translate business objectives into people strategies that drive superior results. As the primary HR point of contact for business leadership, the HRC helps optimize their personal effectiveness and team cohesiveness. When business decisions are made, the HRC ensures the appropriate focus is placed on critical human capital needs and concerns at the business level. Through core HR programs, the HR Consultant seeks to address systemic opportunities with emphasis on enhancing practices that allow Discover to attract, develop, reward, and retain top talent. Job Responsibilities:* Understands the goals and objectives of their assigned business unit's plans and develops and implements necessary people strategies to support these business plans.* Consults with the EVP & S/VPs on challenges pertaining to identifying, developing, assessing, and managing their critical talent.* Provides support to EVP & S/VPs on major change management and organization redesign efforts.* Helps leaders optimally shape and align their roles and structure.* Facilitates efforts to ensure the business has a deep awareness of available talent, are maximizing use of available skills and resources, and have a rich development infrastructure.* Ensures employees and current/future leaders are adequately equipped to successfully navigate the challenges of their roles.* Provides coaching and counseling to business leaders on issues pertaining to team cohesiveness, team dynamics, and management.* Anticipates major business trends and identifies ways to modify HR strategies to meet business needs.* Establishes workforce plan and partners with HR COE's to implement.* Helps leaders evaluate compensation related decisions and strategies.* Collaborate with COEs to create innovative HR solutions and provide feedback to COEs about effectiveness of policies, programs, and processes.* Partners with HR COE's in the areas of human capital within the business (focusing on talent needs and sourcing, performance management and training and development).* Collaborates with HR Operations and ER functions to deliver service within established SLAs.* Promotes and supports workplace diversity and inclusion initiatives by creating an environment that attracts and retains a diverse workforce.* Provides consultation and helps develop strategies for improving employee engagement.* Support culture change initiatives and establish key communication strategies for business-related events impacting people. Critical Competencies: Ability to drive HR Changes and Solutions:
- Ability to assess root causes of organizational performance issues and problems, and determine the appropriate intervention strategy
- Able to generate innovative ideas and apply change best practices to ensure impact of key initiatives
- Anticipates and plans for the effects of organizational change by identifying risks and developing action plans
Coaching and Influencing Skills:
- Effectively works with business leaders to provide feedback, advice, and support to improve the effectiveness and performance of both individuals and business leaders
- Able to persuade others to support decisions, ideas, or strategies that meet the organization's objectives
- Strong OD expertise particularly in leadership development/coaching
- Strong change management experience to assist organizations to adapt quickly and progress to steady state.
- Engagement, employee development, talent management/succession planning, etc
- Plans, organizes and manages various activities and resources toward successful completion of a goal or project. Applies project management processes effectively
- Assesses threshold for acceptance of recommendations with business leaders and colleagues, and customizes approach accordingly
- Facilitates a \"win-win\" outcome when starting from a position of differing views
- Builds strong business partnerships by demonstrating an understanding of business fundamentals and decision making processes
- Leverages business partnerships to continuously connect the people strategy with the business strategy o Is proactively sought out by business leaders for HR solutions and advice
- Demonstrates quick and effective response time by aggressively addressing and resolving issues facing customers
- Delivers the highest possible level of customer service through dedication to understanding and meeting customer needs
Education/ Experience/ Skills: * Bachelor's Degree required (Master's Degree preferred) * 10+ years of proven HRC experience preferably within a large/medium company * Experience Supporting EVPs & S/VPs * Support for a number of Management Committee Members. * Support for a number of Business Unit Heads (President of Division) * Able to fill in for HRC Lead as needed and be viewed positively by the business leaders when doing so. * Capable of working autonomously in ambiguous situations. * Scope and Complexity of role (multi-lines of business, needs of business, international, etc.) * Excellent influencing skills, ability to challenge status quo, in particular when dealing with more senior levels. * Thought leader vs Implementer - proactively diagnoses HR issues and opportunities * Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
#LI-NB1 We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.