7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
Sr. Manager of DNS and Load Balancing Engineering
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious technology professionals with deep technical expertise in networking to join our team! This is an opportunity to lead a high performance team, manage a large and evolving infrastructure environment, and drive engineering solutions for DNS/DHCP/IPAM and load balancing requirements.
You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company’s bottom line, and will manage a team of dynamic and talented network professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills.
- Lead development and implementation of Load Balancing and DNS/ DHCP /IPAM engineering solutions for a distributed hybrid cloud and datacenter environment. This includes:
- Collaboration with Architecture teams on developing standards for internal and cloud hosted services as well as third party access and control to Capital One systems.
- Ensuring adherence to defined network engineering processes and driving platform strategic direction in alignment with business drivers and industry best practices.
- Owning relationships with technology vendors and driving deployment of new platforms, technologies, code versions, and features to meet lifecycle management and business requirements.
- Close engagement with Operations teams on making sure designs and changes are implemented in a supportable, resilient and scalable manner.
- Partnership with the security organization on assessing security exposure, identifying mitigation plans and ensuring compliance with all relevant security configuration standards.
- Engagement with teams across the company to understand current needs, strategic direction, and upcoming requirements in order to support line of business initiatives as well as proactively evolve the infrastructure.
- Leadership of key initiatives, design reviews and process improvements spanning across network technologies and teams.
- Coach and develop a team of experienced DNS and LB engineers as well as attract and foster new talent.
Successful candidates will possess:
- A solid understanding of network topologies, multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load balancing, global load balancing, and firewalls.
- Experience maintaining and growing a high-performance geographically-distributed technical team.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and documentation skills with proven ability to collaborate and influence across different teams.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize and execute on initiatives in a methodical and timely manner, taking appropriate accountability and ownership as well as effectively setting and managing expectations across teams and stakeholders.
- Ability to discuss complex technical issues with engineers and peers, as well as clearly present relevant information to non-technical audiences.
- Programming knowledge and experience with network automation and self-service enablement for user community.
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 4 years’ management experience in a technical leadership role supporting a geographically distributed network infrastructure.
- At least 5 years’ experience with load balancer platforms, technologies, and implementations.
- At least 5 years’ experience with DNS & DHCP systems and IPAM solutions.
- At least 5+ years’ experience with network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large IP and Ethernet networks including campus and datacenter implementations.
- At least 3 years’ experience with application infrastructure and Unix system administration.
- At least 2 years’ experience leading teams following Agile methodologies using tools such as JIRA or Version One, and extremely organized with proven ability to manage multiple projects competing for priority and resources.
- At least 1 year of experience with network automation for DNS and Load Balancing services.
- At least 1 year of experience with public cloud (e.g. AWS, Azure) implementations and connectivity.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline desired.
- At least 2 years’ experience with Infoblox and F5 technologies
- At least 2 years’ experience with AWS DNS and Load Balancing services
- At least 2 years’ experience with supporting implementations in a hybrid datacenter and public cloud provider environment.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.