New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
We are seeking a Digital Data Scientist / Statistician to tackle relevant business concerns at New York Life Direct Tampa. The Analytic Science Division serves as an internal consulting group for the company. We are involved with a range of projects that include Marketing Analytics, Digital Analytics, Customer Segmentation, Market Opportunity Analyses, predictive modeling work and Fraud Risk prevention. We also partner with actuaries and underwriters to lend our expertise on new and novel approaches to age old problems and methodologies.
It's rewarding to be heavily involved in projects and to see your work thoroughly appreciated and implemented.
There is independence in the work, within a collaborative environment.
The size of projects varies in scope; other responsibilities include participating in discussions and representing the Analytics team in meetings.
A standard project would be as follows:
· Meet with business area to understand the problem that is being addressed or the current need
· Start mapping out a solution
· Gather data and use appropriate methodologies to develop analytical solution or model
· Discuss with business area
· Pilot, test, implement, maintain as necessary
This is the profile we are seeking for this position:
· Must have work experience in digital analytics, including agency experience, supported media activation, reporting and recommendations, experience in DMP data and attribution analytics.
- Knowledge with Web Analytics data and tools, such as Adobe analytics and Adobe Audience Management.
- MS or PhD in one or more analytical / quantitative field - Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Computer Science (highly preferred)
· Sound statistical knowledge in standard techniques: Logistic Regression, Cluster Analysis, Random Forests, Experimental Design, etc.
· Some work experience with real data in a consumer based company environment
· R, Python, SAS or Matlab experience
· Familiarity with SQL
· Some experience with a visualization tool such as Tableau or Spotfire
· Microsoft Office - Excel / PowerPoint / Word
· An interest in continued learning
· An appreciation of discovery through data
· A passion in making people understand how to solve problems through analytics
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.