1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Sr. Manager, Software Engineering
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One is one of the nation’s top 10 banks and has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
As a Sr. Manager of Software Engineering at Capital One, you'll perform as a Technical Leader managing multiple agile teams (directly & via team managers) ensuring clear technology solution direction. These teams will need to be able to operate with a high level of independence, as full-stack teams inclusive of all development, test, and deploy responsibilities, ensuring technical design considerations (e.g.: performance, scalability, security, etc.) are built into their solutions.
- Technical Leadership: Have hands on knowledge and understanding of modern software development practices (XP, Agile Scrum, ATDD, CICD pipelines, Cloud Architecture) as well as an appreciation for servant-leadership models. You’ll be challenged to lead a group of full-stack teams focused on delivering high quality solutions as we continue to advance our organization, delivering superior experiences to our customers and associates.
- Development Accountability: Be accountable to the software development practices and application management of your teams. Consider and implement solutions to automate manual tasks, improve performance and scalability, manage the organization using appropriate metrics and system monitoring tools.
- Communication: Being a leader you will not only guide your team(s), but help shape the organization, providing guidance to business and technical leadership at multiple different levels of the organization. Thought leadership and the ability to present technical solutions with the appropriate business context is key.
- People Leadership: Have experience in the recruitment, hiring, retention and full management activities of associates that you grow and develop into future leaders in the software engineering community. Your primary focus will be to set clear expectations, motivate, provide coaching & mentorship to multiple software engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience in the technology industry
- At least 3 years of experience working in technical leadership, architecture, or engineering management roles
- Master’s Degree
- At least 10 years of applicable experience
- At least 2 years experience in leadership of multiple engineering teams across geo-dispersed locations
- At least 2 years experience in development of pure code stacks as well as vendor/platform integration (e.g.: Salesforce & others)
- At least 2 years experience with vendor & contract negotiations/engagement
- Strong understanding of technology design patterns and approaches including Reactive Manifesto, Responsive Web, micro-services concepts, Continuous Integration, Cloud, and Mobile development
- At least 2 years experience in Agile development & delivery
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.