At Exelon, we've got a place for you Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce. Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits. Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow.
Join our Exelon Business Services Company (BSC) to be part of a diverse and inclusive team that provides best-in-class professional services and adds exceptional value to Exelon’s family of companies. We provide financial, human resource, legal, information technology, supply management, communications, and corporate governance services.
Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Senior Manager, Exelon Utilities (EU) Tax, is responsible for tax matters within the scope of the Exelon utility companies. The role has a wide range of responsibility that includes providing tax advice, (1) seeking proactive measures to minimize tax obligations, (2) timely satisfies all tax compliance requirements, (3) complies with all tax accounting requirements, (4) defends positions upon audit / examination by taxing authorities, and (5) works with regulatory to support all tax related matters in rate case filings and testimony. In this role, the Senior Manager is also responsible for directing and developing managers, senior analysts, and analysts. The Senior Manager must be a seasoned professional with a broad range of experience with the ability to build and lead a team of 7 tax professionals.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Support the interim and annual income tax accounting process to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include reviewing and documenting supporting calculations and income tax accounting positions as well as executing internal review controls.
- Support the income tax compliance function to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include researching and documenting income tax positions, reviewing income tax calculations and income tax return forms.
- Support the regulatory filing and forecasting process to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include reviewing rate case filings and projected income tax obligations as well as scenario modeling.
- Independently research and conclude on various complex tax issues to determine the appropriate tax treatment and related reporting. Research includes preparing written memorandums for review and technical presentations to senior tax leadership. Investigate, conclude, and respond to inquiries regarding tax matters made by organizations within Exelon.
- Analyze and interpret changes to federal and state tax laws as well as communicate potential financial impact of changes. Assist in controversy matters with governmental agencies including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service and other state tax taxing authorities or regulatory bodies.
- Responsible for development, performance management, staffing, and overall organizational effectiveness while building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive team
- Proactively identify, drive, and implement process improvements that promote risk management, streamline activities, and enhance transparency in tax work streams. Lead project planning and support special projects.
- Undergraduate Accounting or other financial discipline
- 10 years or more of professional tax experience focusing on large publicly traded corporations, including a combination of industry and either public accounting or law firm.
- Certified Public Accountant or other financial certification and/or advanced degree (JD or MST or LLM)
- Ability to understand complex tax concepts and apply those concepts to maximize after tax value.
- Ability to perform and direct legal research and implement complex tax planning strategies.
- Detailed knowledge of all major areas of federal and state tax law effecting Exelon
- Appreciation of the impact of taxes on the financial statements.
- Strong analytical ability to resolve complex, technical issues; recognizes the need for and seeks out internal subject matter expertise, as well as external subject matter expertise, when necessary.
- Ability to direct or manage cross-functional teams consisting of team members not under his/her direct supervision.
- Strong prioritization and management skills for directing highly specialized, technical tax experts in a diverse environment.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate complex tax issues to senior management in non-technical terms
- 40 hours of ongoing annual continuing professional education will be required of all professionals in the Department (at the Company’s expense).
- Utility industry experience is desirable, though not at the expense of a broad base of experience.
Reports directly to the Tax Director with high visibility to the Vice President of Tax. This position will be based in Washington D.C. with some travel to the Tax Department’s headquarters in Chicago Illinois as well as other office locations in the Chicago suburbs, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.