The Managing Director, Construction & Marine Specialty Field Sales
The Hartford Commercial Markets
The Managing Director, Construction & Marine Specialty Field Sales supports the execution of Middle Market Specialty strategic and operating plans within an assigned geographic region and provides direct management to a team of Construction and Marine field underwriters.
The incumbent is accountable for the financial performance of an assigned territory within the region, including marine and construction loss sensitive and guaranteed cost business. This position reports direct to the Sr. Managing Director, and collaborates with multiple regional office leaders teams to drive profitable business for The Hartford, acting as a liaison with field leadership within other Middle Market business units to ensure clear communication and accountability. The position is charged with contributing to an environment that supports and motivates team members to develop expert technical, sales, underwriting and customer service skills with the goal of increasing the penetration of existing agency relationships and building new agency relationships within the aligned market.
The Managing Director is responsible for managing a large team of Construction and Marine underwriters.
Distribution Management & Sales Leadership
• Builds strong, distinctive strategic partnerships with key Construction and Marine agents, brokers and clients, and supports partner initiatives and strategies.
• Responsible for collaborating with Division and Regional Office leadership for agency management of top partners.
• Implements segment sales plans by reinforcing and supporting pipelining strategy and monitoring team execution.
• Utilizes sales execution and business development strategies to generate robust quality pipelines, maximize client retention and drive new sales and net profitable growth of book.
• Coaches and manages team performance to ensure consistent practice of sales excellence discipline.
• Maintains keen insight into competitor's strengths, weaknesses and strategies to leverage for profitable business and increased agency penetration.
• Drives brand awareness, and gathers and responds to customer feedback
Talent Management and Development
• Directly manages and coaches a team of Construction and Marine field underwriters, and provides indirect management support to center underwriting talent within region.
• Drives strong underwriting behaviors and discipline through oversight, quality management and compliance processes.
• Partners with Sr. Managing Director to develop and execute upon a local talent strategy.
• Responsible for attracting, selecting and developing high caliber diverse talent from within and/or outside of the organization. Ensures staff continuity for key positions by anticipating and planning for future staffing needs.
• Effectively manages staff through active performance management, implementation of a meaningful development planning process.
• Builds a strong team which fosters high levels of engagement, collaboration, open dialogue and involvement in decision making and planning activities.
Book Management, Planning and Monitoring Results:
• Accountable for financial performance of assigned territory within the Region
• Implements territorial strategic and operating plans at the direction of a Sr. Managing Director, which leverage agent/broker relationships and position The Hartford to profitably grow within the territory.
• Manages individual and book-level risk selection & pricing decisions to profitable underwriting results.
• Closely manages plan results and directs implementation of specific actions to address financial shortfalls.
• Actively manages the flow and mix of business to ensure that short-term and long-term financial outcomes are optimized.
Enterprise Accountability & Underwriting Operations:
• Partners with Home Office to ensure that underwriting practices and guidelines are understood and adhered to, specifically focusing upon pricing, risk selection, mix of business, flow management and quality analysis.
• Utilizes quality management and referral programs to identify opportunities to develop staff to ensure functional and regulatory integrity of the book of business and overall compliance with segment guidelines.
• Ensures claims, risk engineering and service operations partnerships are successfully leveraged within the region, recommending changes to process and partnering with key internal business partners as needed to improve offerings.
• Utilizes and champions enterprise tools and systems, e.g., ADAPT, CUE, etc., and understands reporting capabilities in order to monitor success of initiatives.
Level of position depends on experience
Strong Property & Casualty background; Strengths and deep experience desired within either Inland Marine lines or Construction Loss Sensitive and Guaranteed Cost business; expertise in either Construction or Marine with familiarity across both offerings strongly preferred
• 7 years of underwriting, agency/territorial experience and strong preference for previous management/supervisory experience
• BS/BS degree; advanced degree and/or relevant industry designation (e.g.) CPCU, ARM, CRIS, CIC preferred
• Solid financial/business acumen skills
• Highly regarded for leadership capabilities
• Experience with Microsoft computer package; ability to learn/navigate internal computer systems
• Ability to travel regularly within an assigned geographic region
Behaviors at the Hartford
• Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
• Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
• Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
• Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD