The Sr. Enterprise Software Architect role within the Payments Domain plays a central role in driving the architectural direction of the Switch platform. The focus of this role is on the Switch Platform, its Architecture, its APIs and the runtimes, with an eye on the present, the future, and the path between. The impact of this role is large and directly impacts the trajectory of the Switch Platform (you are an owner) on our customers and on the industry as a whole. Deliverables
- Lead the overall architecture and high level design for the delivery of the Payment Switch Platform
- Apply emergent technologies and best practices (IaaS, PaaS, distributed systems, micro-service architecture, server-less architecture, NoSQL, etc.) to the design of the platform
- Oversee the design of the Payment Switch Platform to develop scalable, high-volume performing, and reliable services that operate 24x7
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural trade-offs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write simple elegant code, and deliver with speediness and quality.
- Work closely with the team for each area of the platform to create a shared architectural vision and how the pieces fit together
- Iteratively evolve the platform architecture based on real-world implementation experience, product feedback, roadmap priorities
- Lead by example and work closely with engineering on strategic initiatives, designing high quality software, providing detailed feedback in design & code reviews, and bringing the craft of software engineering on everything we do
- Create effective communication vehicles for the platform architecture targeted at a spectrum of internal & external audiences and needs
- Architect not only the long-term state but also the path to get there, accounting for near-term product deliverables, technical debt and the maturity and likely evolution of relevant technologies
- Proactively identify architectural weaknesses and recommend solutions
- Evaluate new technologies and stay current with a broad range industry trends and developments.
- Hack, blog, tweet & talk. Often!
- Deep interest & experience in broad software platforms, including platform architecture
- 12+ years of industry experience building and running in production high volume large-scale distributed system
- Hands on experience architecting and developing Java web applications, including REST API and Back End implementations
- Expert level experience build resilient services
- Expert level Domain Modeling with Relational and Non-Relational Databases
- Automation driven mindset and solid understanding of modern CI/CD practices
- Excellent debugging and problem solving skills, including ability to diagnose and fix performance and scalability issues.
- Data-driven decision making, results oriented
- A great collaborator someone whom the strong developers, leads, and architects on the teams want to work with, to follow through thick and thin; someone they understand and who understands them; an obvious leader of leaders
- A can-do approach backed by accomplishments they said it couldn't be done, so I came in and found a smart way and made it happen
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
Fin-Tech domain knowledge Basic Qualifications
- Masters in Computer Science or equivalent
- 10+ years of software development experience architecting, designing, and developing highly scalable, reliable, and low latency systems
A little about us:
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.