Principle Packaging Engineer - Innovation
Barrington, IL Role:
Principal Packaging Engineer is part of the Global Packaging & Engineering Technology group. Deliver package innovations and drive the development and execution of new and refreshed package forms across the range of package materials and structures (bottles, closures, cartons, and flexible etc.) used in line with business unit strategies.Key Responsibilities:
- Actively lead the technical qualification process for changes to component and finished good specifications for all packaging items
- Includes PET and glass bottles, closures, cans, corrugate, etc.
- Cross-functional project leadership
- Packaging expertise (lab scale to full production).
- Data review and statistical analysis
- Planning and communication skills
- Budget control and management at project and Group level
- Actively manage new packaging development and initial commercialization to deliver PepsiCo Packaging Innovation Strategy
- Planning & Communication Skills
- Actively participate in Marketing and Marketing Research programs, including focus groups and other consumer research formats
- Primary contact to Global Procurement and suppliers on proposed primary packaging changes, providing subject matter expertise
- Contribute to Research & insights Teams to incorporate packaging requirements into plans
- Maintain open communication and build strong relationships with multiple functions
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise in support of new Package Development and Commercialization
- Develop deep understanding of strategic packages, products and processes to support development of new packaging platforms, and contribute to trouble shooting and problem solving
- Initiate and perform technical feasibility studies on new packaging platforms delivered through ideation
- Lead development and optimization of packaging specifications for all packaging formats
- Provide technical support for field issue resolution
- Create development and initial commercialization timelines for all projects
- Build strong relationships with internal and external partners
- Broad knowledge package materials
- Analytical thinking
- Intellectual curiosity
- Project management skills
- Communication skills
- Packaging manufacturing processes
- Results driven
- Innovative thinking
- BS in Packaging Science, Chemical, Mechanical, or Plastics Engineering with 10 plus years experience.
- Experience with dairy and aseptic packaging
- Previous experience in the development and execution of complex packaging programs
- Effective leader in cross-functional project teams
- Experience in manufacturing processes for beverages
- Experience working with Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) or Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) companies a plus
Other Job Requirements:
- Experience with hot fill, cold fill, retort and aseptic packaging
- Experience with both flexible and rigid packaging a plus
- Experience with various types of plastics forming with solid industry networks
- Strong track record of championing innovation within organizations
- Travel mainly in North America, however international travel may be required to meet project and business objectives. 20-30% total.
- Occasional weekend travel is normal due to time required to travel to certain locations.
Eligible for Standard Relocation
A little about us:
Our nation’s veterans bring unbeatable life experience, job skills and leadership to PepsiCo. Together We Win.