Sr Performance Engineer - Performance Application Engineering
Posted: August 29, 2016
Reference ID: 16000Y1X
PAE (Performance Application Engineering) is a central performance team in Oracle's system group covering both vertical and horizontal scalable system performance. The overall group focus is on performance work on Oracle strategic product directions and building of highly scalable data processing systems. Current work elaborately concentrates on Oracle Public Cloud, SuperCluster, Solaris, Oracle Database, Java, SPARC processors, and ZFS storage.
Performance work can be classified into 4 iterative phases:
Overall product design and architecture
Performance investigation through proof-of-concepts
Performance characterization and analysis
Performance improvement with prototype development
Our team's responsibility covers all 4 phases.
Successful candidate should be innovative and flexible about translating high-level, ambiguous business goals into specific tasks. You should be comfortable taking initiative and working in a fast-paced environment with various product development teams across organizations within Oracle.
Performance work on one or more Oracle products integrated and optimized on Oracle platforms:
- Oracle Database
- Big Data Analytics
- Cloud - covering both PaaS and IaaS
- Enterprise & Java application
- Solaris & Oracle Enterprise Linux
- Virtualization technologies including OVM/Xen, Kernel Zones, and LDOMs
Performance engineering work includes tasks such as:
- deep-dive performance analysis with innovative thinking and creative performance optimizations
- design and development of prototypes
- workload/benchmark development and characterization
- presentation of performance results and engagement with development teams across the company
- development of best-practice and reference architectures, white papers and conference papers
- assist product development life-cycle through performance evaluation and validation
- competitive performance analysis
With this opening, we are targeting to hire a performance engineer for our Solaris performance team, focusing on core operating system components such as scheduling, virtual memory, NUMA/CMT, virtualization, and observability.
- MS degree (or higher) in computer science or electrical engineering with 3 years of working experience
- Knowledge in operating system internals (scheduling, virtual memory) is a must
- Knowledge in virtualization technologies is a must
- Experience in working with UNIX environments is a must
- Experience in developing operating system code is a plus
- Experience in performance engineering is a plus
- Experience in databases and JVM is a plus
- Experience in processors, server and storage technology is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to learn quickly
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills
- Ability to work efficiently and drive project deliveries
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.