Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Located downtown Chicago, Gamut is a start-up operation being launched by Grainger. The company is developing an innovative, new e-commerce platform that will leverage technology, structured data, and customer insights to launch a successful new business. This is an exciting opportunity to help develop a dynamic organization from the ground up and explore numerous career development possibilities as the company continues to grow.
As a member of Gamut, you will work on some of the most complex challenges in software design, and development. You will be part of select team that engages with enterprise leaders, building innovative digital products. We are looking for a senior level platform engineer. This person will be building out the backend, platform, and infrastructure of a large-scale ecommerce system.
- Senior engineer with demonstrated progression and growth in experience and responsibilities
- 4-7 years of professional experience
- Writes high-quality, high-performance, and maintainable code
- Able to teach others how to write high-quality, high-performance, and maintainable code
- Collaborates well with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Champion for best practices and teaching others how to achieve best practices
- Must be proactive, self-sufficient, detailed, organized, and a team-player
- Experience writing multi-threaded, asynchronous code
- Expert level knowledge in Ruby, Python, or Node.js
- Good understanding of web technologies, network protocols and Linux
- Experience with large scale distributed infrastructure systems
- Experience with building REST APIs and service-based architectures
- Able to drive architecture and design
- Able to influence and direct other application groups to adopt Platform infrastructure
- Strong communication skills; attention to detail and discipline
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.