This Industrial Design position provides integrated support to surgical instrumentation product teams. This position has a significant impact to the business as the key role responsible for the Industrial Design function for the surgical instrumentation franchise; ensuring a consistent brand identity and a best-in-class customer experience for all products. Accountable to the whole user experience including usability, reception of style, UI/UX and functions of our products. Concentrating on development of the next generation of surgical instrumentation, this role will provide support throughout the development lifecycle, coordinating with commercial and R&D across product lines.
• Establish consistent vision for opthalmic surgical instrumentation acrosss multiple product lines. Collaborate with product teams consisting of R&D, commercial, MTO and quality to build a consistent product brand.
• Responsible for performing the appropriate research to define relevant trends with forecasting.
• Define a consistent visual brand ID for Alcon product platforms. Creates, maintains and effectively communicates the design language to all product teams within scope that results in a consistent, best-in-class customer experience and perception of the Alcon brand. Responsible for execution by providing direction to product teams in implementing the design language. Leverages style guides, theme/mood boards as appopriate.
• Serve as a key stakeholder within each of the product teams responsible for collaborating with the human factors role in being the advocate for the customer. Partners with and supports Alcon internal Research Leaders and Advisors to deliver the portfolio.
• Responsible for styling and graphic art development using the tools of the trade such as photorealistic graphical art tools and 3D CAD modeling. Create detailed designs and imagery to communicate product designs starting early within concept development to obtain input/feedback from across the business including customers and drive product design decisions.
• Responsible for coaching and developing associates to ensure best practices and procedures are aligned with state of the art best known methods in the industry.
• Ensure high quality interactions with customers and members of the organization at all technical and management levels and therefore, must serve as a role model for values and behaviors within the organization.
• Develop strategies to help integrate new product acquisitions with Alcon design language.
• Architect and conduct user experience studies. Interpret and communicate user feedback & requirements into relevant design specifications that can be shared across corporate divisions.
• Communicate UI specifications to software development teams, leveraging state of the art methods for developing prototypes and obtaining appropriate feedback to drive development.
• Foster and leverage external network of resources including other organizations in to ensure scalability and accelerate the development process.
• Deliver effective visual presentations for outlining structure, support development and provide creative direction leveraging professional imagery.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
alrpo EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements • BS minimum in Industrial Design or MS Degree in Industrial Design w/ a BS in related discipline and 8 years work experience.
• 10 years Industrial Design work experience with at least 4 years in the medical device industry.
• All phases of product design and development
• Product Roadmap development across multiple product platforms
• State of the art branding exercises for developing a consistent visual brand identity and defining the design language
• Leading brainstorming sessions; creating 2D and 3D renderings, virtual and physical mockups
• Performing research on colors and associated trends and materials, including feasibility, forecasting as related to product visual brand ID
• Assessing ergonomics using the HE 75 standard
• UI development with capabilities that include storyboarding, sketches and mockups
• Logo creation for product application and other product labeling
• State of the art tools for producing artwork; sketching, photo and 3D rendering, developing foam mockups, custom color mixing and painting
• Plastic design and interpreting engineering drawings
• Managing multiple concurrent projects within specified budgets
A little about us:
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon develops and manufactures innovative medicines and devices to serve the full life cycle of eye care needs.