Spectrum News Buffalo (Western New York) is available on channels 9, 14 and 200 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in Western New York from Buffalo-Niagara to the Genesee Valley and the Southern Tier serving dozens of towns, villages and cities in an 8-county region. Spectrum News Buffalo provides the Buffalo metropolitan and Western New York area with 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week.
The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks family: Spectrum News channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Rochester and New York City, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh, North Carolina; in Tampa and Orlando, Florida. SUMMARY
Responsible for producing an assigned newscast under the direction of the News Director, Assistant News Director and the Executive Producer. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Writes news stories for assigned news wheels and channel’s website that are factually accurate, fair and balanced in content, and written in a clear and concise conversational manner.
• Builds the news wheel with live and taped news, weather and traffic elements that meet format requirements, within established deadlines. Coordinates with graphic artists in developing the graphics for the show. Writes stories for anchors as required. Stories should be written in a clear and concise conversational manner.
• Produces assigned live newscasts, news wheels and news inserts making decisions on story lineup, video/audio, graphics, and timing to construct the show. Produces and writes special reports as directed by Executive Producers, Assistant News Director or News Director. Works with Producers, Reporters, Directors and Assignment Editors to create the news cast product. Responsible for accuracy, fairness and balance of content in the on-air product.
• Approves copy and directs news coverage in the absence of an Executive Producer, Assistant News Director or the News Director.
• Researches news publication, websites and programming for story updates and ideas. Brings story ideas to daily editorial meetings. Responsible for up-to-date knowledge of news and events in local market, nation and world.
• Performs video editing functions as required.
• Adheres to established journalistic ethics, standards and practices.
• Performs other duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• 4 year college degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field.
• Television news experience a plus.
• Must have prior television news experience as a producer.
• Must be able to use and have knowledge of common television newsroom computer systems and software, with ability to learn new software systems.
• Experience or functional knowledge of news video editing systems preferred, with knowledge of non-linear and or desktop-based editing systems a plus.
• Ability to shoot and edit video preferred. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Only applicants who apply online at https://jobs.spectrum.com/
will be considered.
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.