Spectrum News North Carolina is available on channels 14 and 200 and in the western foothills of North Carolina on channels 2, 14 and 711 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in North Carolina. Spectrum News North Carolina serves the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point), Wilmington, Charlotte and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) markets and provides 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week. The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks family: Spectrum News channels in upstate New York (Albany, Hudson Valley, Syracuse, Binghamton, Buffalo), New York City, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas and in Tampa and Orlando, FloridaJOB SUMMARY
Responsible for producing content for assigned shows and newscast. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials. This person will be called upon to act in a supervisory role as needed for specific shifts.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSSkills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Produces for assigned newscasts and news inserts making decisions on story lineup, video/audio elements, graphics and timing to construct show.
- Writes news stories for an assigned newscasts; ensuring content is factually correct and written in a clear and concise conversational style before submitting to Executive Producer for final newscast clearance.
- Ability to produce live or recorded newscasts.
- Initiates on-air protocol when breaking news decision is made.
- Verifies stories are written to the pictures being edited and/or vice versa.
- Follows through on all assignments meeting required deadlines, according to the Executive Producer’s instructions.
- Works with associate producers and Producers to create the newscast product.
- Provides specifics on newscast content for Producers and Associate Producers.
- Produces special programming as needed.
- Assists in training new hires as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Strong broadcast news writing ability.
- Ability to anticipate situations and meet strict deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills and excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization.
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends.
- Familiarity with the local market.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately with an attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus.
- Basic editing skills.
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes.
High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.Related Work Experience
5+ Years Television news experience
3+ Years Line producing experience Working Conditions
- Normal office environment.
- Works primarily inside a climate controlled environment throughout the year but might be assigned field duties on occasion.
- Works in an open newsroom setting with a semi-noisy environment.
- May be required to lift up to 5 pounds.
Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.