Location: Granville, Ohio - United States
The Sr. Product Engineer is accountable for understanding and establishing the key Fitness for Use Criteria of our products for our Customers' end use applications. The Engineer translates the Customer's product, process & application needs (Critical to Use Criteria) into effective product specifications. The Product Engineer works closely with Sales, Operations, Innovations, Sourcing, and Marketing organizations. The Sr. Product Engineer can also expect to lead a technical team to successfully deliver solutions.The position reports to
the NA CTSO Leader.
ResponsibilitiesDemonstrates a commitment to safety
- Participates in regular safety meetings
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
Understand and satisfy customer needs
- Zero accidents / RIR on projects
- Continuously builds knowledge of key customers' business, products, processes, technologies, applications, competitors, codes & standards, etc., that is necessary for the customer to be successful. Defines the value of solutions for the Commercial team to improve margins for our business.
- Documents and communicates customers' specifications and Fitness for Use criteria with input and direction from the Market Development Manager, Product Manager and Sales team.
- Is a technical expert and leads productivity improvements at the Customer.
- Leads communications with our customers and within our organization as to how products are made, used, and bring benefits.
- Be the customer advocate back to our Operations, Innovations, Sales, Marketing, Transportation.
- Be a key resource for Customer Notification Data Base to troubleshoot root causes of product issues.
- Supports experiments and trials in the plant for new and existing products to ensure they meet our customer's fitness for use.
- Lead and organize Customer meetings and initiate projects that result in improved customer satisfaction.
Specific Job responsibilities include:
- Frequency and quality of customer visits/interactions / feedback
- Clear demonstration of leadership skills for direct reports
- Revenue and Gross Margin growth.
- Drive the outside-in link of our product characteristics to Critical To Quality for Customers' processes and the Fitness For Use of the their end-use products
- Partner with Sales and Marketing to drive our growth initiatives with our Customers.
- Drive and/or lead a technical team in the execution of new products to ensure valid product specifications are established and customer qualification and commercialization is successful.
- Lead and drive productivity programs with customers bring value to the them and OC
- Execute our product line strategy at the local level as defined by the Regional Product Manager and the Commercial Account Manager
- Organize and lead the cross functional Local Product Team which includes the Plant Process Engineer/Technician, Manufacturing Engineer, ASM, Supply Chain Rep, and any other function required to ensure customer satisfaction and OC profitability.
- Collaborate with Operations, Sourcing and the Global Product Engineer for Management of Change with respect to all product transfers and raw material changes.
Job RequirementsExperience and Knowledge Requirements:
- MS or BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer, or Material Sciences.
- Experience in compounding Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) high want.
- 5 to 10 years of process experience in Operations, demonstrated success in project management, or application development initiatives in an industrial manufacturing setting.
- Thorough understanding of OC manufacturing processes desired.
- Must use data management systems and sound statistical methods to establish designed experiments and be able to analyze, document and track projects.
- Knowledge of SAP, BI, MDL (Product Code creation/extension) desired.
- Knowledge of Customer composite processing methods and associated cost modeling required.
- Understanding of both thermoplastic and thermoset composites desired.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office and Minitab (or willing to learn.)
- Past Sales or Customer Service experience a plus.
About Owens Corning
- Passport required
- Customer Driven
- Results Oriented
- Self starter
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication - verbal and written
- Ability to converse in Spanish or French a plus
- Positive attitude
- Team building
- Willingness to travel (40-80%)
- Long term commitment to job
- Sensitivity regarding OC Intellectual Property
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
A little about us:
Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology