Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies applied to business problems, solving real needs for customers who spend billions of dollars across our stores in North America. QuoteCenter is an application Home Depot store associates use to build large product owners for our Pro customers.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We were a startup once upon a time and much of our startup culture still exists: the agility of a small operation, the impact that comes with being a leader in our industry. Our team uses the latest technologies to build new products that facilitate 10-figure sales volumes at The Home Depot. We invest proactively in our people. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
We are looking for a Product Manager to lead our efforts in identifying and developing new markets.
Product Management is charged with being the customer’s voice within the company and develops an understanding of what our customers will need now and in the future. That understanding will be brought to life in Business cases, Concepts, Product Roadmaps, MRD development and in interactions with senior management, engineering, sales, support, marketing and with partners and customers. This position requires proven communication and collaboration skills and a track record of interacting with technical, product, and marketing teams. You must be self-motivated and have strong leadership skills, good business sense, and experience with software business and development processes.
- Manage products through their life cycle—introduction, growth, maturity and ending stages
- Work with marketing to specify market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by site visits to customers and non-customers
- Develop the product roadmap; articulate the unique value proposition based on a deep understanding of the market trends, competitive threats, voice of customer, and analytics
- Collect and measure key product metrics to inform success/failure of each release and plan iterations accordingly.
- Work with engineering and review product functional specifications and provide detailed feedback on customer expectations
- Develop and implement a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute
- Work with sales to drive achievement of planned revenue for your products
- Own the results. Analyze KPI’s and use them to drive decision-making about the future of the product
- Built a successful product from vision to launch
- Researching to new market opportunities cross-functionally with UX and Marketing
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
50% - Strategy & Planning:
Seeks to empathize with and understand the end user deeply and use that knowledge to determine the fastest path to deliver value
Translates business goals and end user needs into product strategy; communicates direction and product priorities to the development team, other matrixed teams, and third-party partners
Identifies goals, metrics and analytics to determine product value; continually makes recommendations and refinements to the product backlog based on learnings
Manages and grooms the product backlog; makes future decisions based on the value that will be delivered
Partners with Finance to understand financial needs and assist in the creation of business plans for new opportunities
Monitors research as well as the competitive landscape to recommend the best solutions and ensure that products remain or become best in class
Ensures that product directions balance both the user needs and business goals of driving sales, improving efficiency and enhancing customer satisfaction
20% - Delivery & Execution:
Formulates, tests and refines assumptions and hypotheses through user research and testing
Creates, prioritizes and accepts user stories; incorporate them into release planning
Makes product decisions that drive value on a daily basis
Identifies and considers pros, cons, issues, obstacles, dependencies and value associated with features and enhancements
Participates in standups, iteration planning sessions, product demo, and retrospectives
Condenses complex technical concepts into non-technical language for stakeholders
30% - People:
Fosters collaboration with team members (Engineering, UX, etc.) to drive value and identify and resolve impediments
Acts as a proponent of modern software development practices
Advocates for the end user and stakeholder by becoming associated with the product, empathizing with and understanding user needs
Works with the product team to continuously assess progress, disseminate lessons learned, and understand next steps
Manages cross functional team and stakeholder expectations to execute on product strategy and provides education to requestors to determine prioritization based on tangible benefits and/or user experience
Guides more junior team members in strategy, alignment, analysis and execution tasks
Participates in and contributes to learning activities around modern software design and development core practices (communities of practice)
Participates in talent acquisition, development and retention activities in support of team
NATURE AND SCOPE
Typically reports to the Product Management Manager or Sr. Manager.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 3 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a software product manager
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit with a keen eye for identifying new market opportunities and transforming that into an actionable plan
- Thrive in ambiguity where the solution doesn't exist and the problems aren't fully known
- Results driven candidate that can take an idea and develop a strong business case that will become the team's roadmap
- Knowledgeable in technology and enterprise software
- Ability to work and lead across all parts of the organization
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Comfortable and experienced in presenting to large and senior audiences
- Must be able to present product vision/strategy to executives and business stake holders
- Excellent communicator in both verbal and written form.
- Polished presentation skills, creating materials and presenting to various levels of management.
- Big picture thinker able to operate effectively at 30,000 foot view, but also able to get into the details when necessary.
- Strong story teller, is able to formulate cohesive messages with meaningful and impactful points that resonate with target audience.
- Self-starter, requires little to no direction to be effective at role.