For more than 100 years, Praxair has taken something as fundamental as air and turned it into ways to make food taste better, plants operate cleaner and more efficiently, breathing easier and entertainment more exciting - in short, to make all our lives better. Praxair is a Fortune 300 company with products and technology that impact more than 20 different industries. We’re one of the world’s largest industrial gases businesses and you see our work every day, often without realizing it.
Praxair operates over 50 hydrogen production facilities and seven hydrogen pipeline systems worldwide. Refinery and chemical customers benefit from Praxair’s complete portfolio of large-volume industrial gases, cylinder gases and specialized technologies and services. Hydrogen is essential in today’s refining industry for upgrading heavy crude oils into refined fuels, and helping to meet increasingly tight transportation fuel specifications. Praxair's commitment to innovation will continue to drive this business into the future. POSITION SUMMARY:
The employee's responsibility in this HyCO-focused research and development (R&D) position will be to develop and commercialize new and improved processes and technologies for hydrogen and/or synthesis gas production. The succesful candidate must be creative, capable of integrating existing and advanced technologies into processes and equipment that reduce capital and operating costs of Praxair’s HyCO supply systems. The employee will also be expected to independently identify and drive productivity and reliability improvements for existing large-scale HyCO plants, especially those efforts related to catalytic processes.
To accomplish these goals, effective collaboration with external technology partners, vendors and contractors will be critically important. Additionally, the employee will need to develop and leverage a strong technical network within other R&D groups, as well as within Global HyCO Business, Engineering, and Operations. Additional responsibilities will include process flow sheet simulations, techno-economic evaluations, definition and leadership of rapid commercialization programs, implementation of technologies in the field, and the documentation of such work via internal reports, patent applications and effective presentations to senior management, including the CTO and Global HyCO President. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications: (SALARY AND JOB LEVEL COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE) Basic:
- Define and independently lead HyCO-focused rapid commercialization programs from project ideation through field implementation, especially those related to catalytic processes
- Provide technical direction and oversight to relevant lab and pilot-scale demonstrations
- Generate quantifiable productivity benefits and/or bid competitiveness for existing and new HyCO plants
- Collaborate effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Monitor new technology trends and champion their implementation to create value in Global HyCO
- Defend and grow Praxair’s intellectual property in the HyCO area
- PhD in Chemical Engineering with 8 years of relevant industrial experience
- Proven track record of successfully developing and commercially deploying technologies
- Strong chemical engineering fundamental knowledge of process design, unit operations, heat transfer, catalysis and reaction engineering is essential
- Creativity, with excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- Independent, driven, results-oriented disposition, with a focus on safety
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Prior experience with industrial hydrogen or synthesis gas generation technology
- Experience conducting experimental, kinetic investigations of catalytic processes, such as reforming and shift
- Demonstrated proficiency with process simulation tools, such as gPROMs, UniSim, Aspen, ADSIM, etc.
A little about us:
A global Fortune 300 company that supplies atmospheric, process and specialty gases, is focused on making our planet more productive.