Responsible for the achievement of business unit sales objectives by coordinating all business unit sales activities for Gattex within a designated region, developing all personnel within the region, and ensuring achievement of regional objectives through compliant sales practices.
- Plan, direct, implement, and oversee Regional activities and policies for a specific geographical region
- Communicate and reinforce the use of compliant selling practices
- Implement all dimensions of marketing strategies and plans on regional level through effective management of all resources in order to compliantly meet quarterly and yearly company sales objectives.
- Review implementation of sales plan on quarterly basis to ensure objectives are being achieved.
- Continually review assigned territories to identify and implement methods to obtain additional business and improve effectiveness of representatives
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of local customers and customer networks
- Communicate personnel, product and market activity and issues to management
- Interact with managed care and national accounts to coordinate selling efforts
- Communicate expectations and standards of performance to Regional Business Managers (RBM)
- Regularly observe, document and provide feedback on RBM performance
- Counsel and coach RBM to maximize their performance and continue their professional development
- Build effective teams through recruiting, training, and performance management within region, and more broadly as needed
- Manage expenses in accordance with allocated budget.
- Plan and conduct Plan of Action / launch meetings in accordance with business unit marketing plans and programs.
- Act as company liaison between corporate office and field sales
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required, BS preferred
- Minimum 5+ years experience as healthcare sales representative with proven track record of success in all respects of selling, i.e. technical knowledge, selling techniques, understanding of medical field, etc. is required
- Minimum 2-3 years of sales management experience preferred
- Product launch or turnaround experience preferred
- (GI) GI experience preferred with history of specialty injectable sales and working with specialty pharmacies.
- Orphan drug and highly specialized medical sales/management a plus
- Effective capability with Microsoft Office suite required
- Must have valid driver's license and good driving record
- Some overnight travel may be required depending on territory
- Overnight travel to attend and participate in meetings as requested by management
- May be required to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- When not traveling, work is from own home office.
- Must submit reports and paperwork accurately and on time
- Thinks beyond the day-to-day implementation of plans to incorporate future market / region trends
- Proactively communicates with others (i.e., sales leadership, home office, industry experts) regarding trends, industry knowledge, competitive intelligence, region performance
- Uses own understanding of the marketplace and how it will change (e.g., key players, R&D pipeline) in order to lead team in best positioning products for maximum long-term success
- Uses own experience and analytical tools in the call reporting system to track and monitor representative performance and help them to do the same
Accountability and ownership
- Is consistently self motivated and energized in approach to work and interactions with team Sets and pursues challenging goals for self and others
- Serves as a role model for others, demonstrating commitment to Shire's vision and values, as well as to that of the business unit
- Takes action to gather information and educate oneself and others in better understanding future issues that may affect the selling environment
- Gets directly involved in the management of key Shire accounts when needed
Developing organizational capability / Inspiring and motivating others
- Builds good morale, aspiration, and cohesiveness within the team
- Thinks about and assesses the strengths and development needs of RBMs and others by carefully observing their behavior and constructively working to help further their performance
- Draws upon skills of others for the development of less experienced employees. Spends significant time helping others realize areas they need to develop and recommends developmental activities
Develops authentic relationships
- Develops and leverages partnering relationships with key customers
- Knows the physician's practice / customer's business and seeks to understand real needs matches these needs to available resources
- Understand the motivations and aspirations of the regional team members. Works to create development plans that help them achieve their goals and progress in their career.
Judgment and decision making
- Analyzes and assesses region performance to determine patterns and trends; incorporates findings in decision making
- Displays confidence in decision making
- Uses sound judgment in balancing flexibility and creativity against overall strategy, and manages others accordingly
- Makes decisions that are clearly aligned with the business strategy
Courage to challenge
- Views problems and obstacles as positive challenges and opportunities. Is not easily intimidated by strong objections challenges RBMs and peers to step up their efforts and performance
- Maintains a positive outlook in the face of a changing environment
- Modifies position or course of action to address changes in the selling or industry environment, while ensuring the strategic plan is adhered to