Arconic is seeking an inorganic analytical chemist with a minimum of 3 years experience in method development and materials/powder characterization using elemental techniques. The position will be based at the Arconic Technology Center (ATC) and report to the section head for the Applied Chemistry Group within the Analytical Sciences Division. The primary responsibilities of the position include developing advanced methods for analysis of titanium and nickel alloys and inorganic materials, including powders as well as providing technical leadership and analytical solutions to Arconic projects and business units.
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Partner with project teams at ATC and BU locations to develop customized analytical methods for proprietary materials and powder development efforts
- Exhibit strong problem solving skills; demonstrate troubleshooting skills with advanced analytical instrumentation
- Provide technical leadership in the areas of analytical chemistry, method development, materials characterization, project management, and process control internally and externally to ATC
- Leverage linkages with external entities including universities and industry associations to advance technical leadership within Arconic and materials development industry
- Communicate results and drive project implementation through technology reviews, written technical documentation, and external publications/presentations
- Ensure adherence to the quality system for ISO 17025 and NADCAP accreditation
- Lead projects and interdisciplinary teams in support of innovation and analytical problem solving for ATC projects and Arconic business units
- Leverage understanding of materials sciance and manufacturing processes to identify opportunities and advance Arconic technology through application of analytical expertise
- Provide training to less-experienced chemists and technicians
- Support Analytical Sciences EHS policies and programs
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or other related scientific degree (Engineering, Environmental).
- Experience with sample digestion techniques using acids/bases and metals analysis via ICP-MS/OES; Microwave digestion and Spark-OES experience a plus.
- Baseline knowledge of alloy systems and additive manufacturing prosesses
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Computer skills, including ability to process complex data sets
- Ability to lead and implement new analytical methods
- Ability to contribute individually and as part of a team
- Must have a positive, collaborative, and highly adaptive work style
- Data reduction and analysis skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills to partner with projects and provide technical expertise
- Masters degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Environmental, or Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in an academic or industrial laboratory setting, performing method development and analysis of inorganic materials
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- PHD in Analytical Chemistry, Materials Science, Environmental, or Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years experience in inorganic materials and alloy characterization
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.