Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
A highly motivated candidate is sought to join the Protein Science group in the Department of Structural Chemistry and Chemical Biotechnologies. This group utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, function, and dynamics of novel targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. The job requires the candidate to work in cross-functional teams to understand the protein reagent needs of different functional areas and produce recombinant proteins to enable lead finding activities and structure determination. Specific projects will involve cross-functional collaborations across diverse therapeutic areas that target proteins and pathways in oncology, immunology, cardiometabolic diseases, infectious disease, and neuroscience. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to bring in new technologies to enable generation and characterization of difficult to express proteins.
- Interface with colleagues in various therapeutic areas, Screening, Pharmacology and Structural Chemistry to design a comprehensive reagent generation strategy to enable lead ID and lead optimization efforts.
- Lead Protein Science Efforts in designing constructs, high through put expression screening strategies, purification and characterization of various recombinant protein targets including membrane proteins and multi-protein complexes to enable generation of high quality proteins for screening and structure determination.
- Independently perform complex experiments with strong attention to detail and documentation.
- Work with CRO's to outsource routine protein expression and production work.
- Present data at team and group meetings.
- Excellent written and oral skills needed.
- Accomplish goals under project team timelines.
- Qualified candidates will have a MS with 5 years or a Ph.D in Biochemistry, Protein engineering, Molecular/Structural biology, Biophysics or equivalent education and experience with a strong publication record in relevant journals
- Preference will be given to candidates with deep technical expertise in protein design and production including protein expression and purification, protein engineering, biophysical and biochemical assays
- Demonstrated proficiency in various chromatography techniques including affinity, ion exchange, gel filtration, HIC, CHT, and reverse phase chromatographies.
- Experience with analytical techniques, such as LC-MS, DLS, ITC, protein labeling and Tm determination is preferred
- Microbial and eukaryotic expression of recombinant proteins using bioreactor and/or shake flask up to 10L scale is a plus
- Experience in using computational tools for homology modeling, de novo prediction, structure visualization and analysis, protein NMR and crystallography is highly desirable
- The successful candidate must be highly organized, motivated, work independently in a collaborative team-oriented setting, and have strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement