Location: Granville, Ohio - United States
The Sr. Scientist for glass fiber reinforced thermoset composites will work with the Granville Prototyping and Applications team and will be initially accountable for MER product development projects, in the field of Owens Corning (OC) Composites Solutions Business. Applicants should have significant composites experience with reinforcing fibers and resin chemistries, particularly in thermoset systems.
The job responsibility is assisting in developing reinforcement solutions including size development, new product development, industrialization and application development in the field of transportation (Sheet Molding Compound or SMC), industrial goods (FW, Pipe, Spray Up), and building application (Panel, Open Mold). The role's accountability extends over technical scope definition, product development, through product industrialization and commercialization. The primary tasks will be translating customer critical to use criteria by application into product specifications, literature and vendor investigation for experimental design and structuring of trials to communicate to prototyping technicians. Future projects would extend to other thermoset composites and applications and would include other roving products beyond MER.
Responsibilities, Scope and Contributions
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Implement a personal safety action plan and review with leadership.
- Ensure rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Lead key product development and application projects:
- Understand MER applications and customer critical to use criteria
- Understand T30 applications and customer critical to use criteria
- Design composite materials or inputs based on customer criteria and translating to composite properties
- Develop and execute, with the support of the team resources, a product development project approved by the Project Review Board or guided by the product leadership team members
- Characterize fibers, resins and composite parts to optimize processibility and mechanical properties
- Support New Product Industrialization process and Process-Engineering-Team until the hand-over to the manufacturing teams.
- Initiate & implement new testing methodology (applications mimics) enabling faster development, and value quantification that our new solutions provide to our customers
- Support product engineer and commercial team in commercialization at customer qualification trials
- Leverage lab support (Analytical, Mechanical and Modeling) to accelerate development and decision making.
- Play an active role with the Innovation teams in Chambery, France (CI) through participation in Competency Group meetings and collaborative projects
- Highly organized and communicative when working with team members and peers
- Inspire and energize technicians to engage and foster team work to shared goals despite no direct people leadership responsibilities
- Utilize RPM project management tools for well structured project execution
- Bring project management capabilities with experience in coordinating multiple workstreams and balancing time.
- Develop strong technical interaction with customer's key technical representative.
- Understand well the resins and modifiers used in thermoset matrix systems
- Monitor technology in his/her area of expertise - share technical recommendations on technology/market trend understating with innovation leadership. Develop a good knowledge of technology related to the use of roving solutions (SMC, Panel Lamination, Filament Winding, Spray up)
- Be part of the sizing competency group and share/gain knowledge/expertise through peers. Be part of the Technology Transmittal at OC by writing Technical, Memo report and Invention record and file Trade Secret or Patents
Who I work with
CSB Product leadership innovation team
Manufacturing platform technology, CTSO, Operations including Continuous Improvement team, Marketing, Sales, Sourcing.
Technical representative of Customers, External laboratories and Universities, Supplier Technical representative.
Committees, teams, councils, boards, etc. that I participate in:
Sizing competency groups
- The minimum educational background is a Master in Chemistry, macromolecular chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 4-7 years of experience in an industrial research and development environment working with thermoset composites (fibers and resins).
- Experience with a proven track record of success in product development from conception to industrialization & commercialization for the chemical, plastics or composite industry is desired with demonstrated project management skills.
- Customers technical interaction experiences, technical joined development projects or technical supported activities experiences are appreciated.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in composites product development is required, SMC or thermoset preferred.
- Strong statistical analysis and project management capabilities for decision-making is required.
- Good communication & technical documentation skills are required.
- Six sigma certifications (green or black belt) is preferred.
- Experience working with and improving equipment is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively as a member of a global team is a must.
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
About Owens Corning
- CUSTOMER DRIVEN : ALWAYS HONORS PROMISES AND TREATS CUSTOMERS THE WAY THEY DESERVE TO BE TREATED REGARDLESS OF MARKET CONDITIONS; AND CAUSE A BRAND EXPERIENCE THAT EMOTIONALLY CONNECTS CUSTOMERS TO OUR COMPANY.
- TEAMWORK ORIENTED : SELF-STARTED WHO WORKS WITH MINIMAL SUPERVISION THAT BALANCES MULTIPLE ASSIGNMENTS; WORKS EFFECTIVELY ACROSS TECHNOLOGY, MARKETING AND MANUFACTURING GROUPS TO ENSURE PROJECT SUCCESS.
- ACCOUNTABILITY : KNOWS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE AND GET IT DONE. WILLINGLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROJECT OUTCOMES AS A WHOLE; UNAFRAID OF OWNING THE RESULTS, ACTIONS AND DECISIONS OF SELF OR ORGANIZATION. COMMITTED TO FOLLOW THROUGH TO COMPLETION.
- JUDGMENT & DECISION MAKING: RECOGNIZES ISSUES, PROBLEMS, OR OPPORTUNITIES AND DETERMINE WHETHER ACTION IS NEEDED. CHOOSES APPROPRIATE ACTION BY FORMULATING CLEAR DECISION CRITERIA AND EVALUATES OPTIONS BY CONSIDERING IMPLICATIONS AND CONSEQUENCES. IMPLEMENTS DECISIONS OR INITIATE ACTION WITHIN REASONABLE TIME.
- PEOPLE LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES: LEADS INDIRECTLY, PERSONNEL RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TRIALS AND EXPERIMENTS
- TRAVEL: CAPABLE OF UP TO 10% TRAVEL AND ABLE TO LEVERAGE EXTENDED TEAM RESOURCES FOR PLANT TRIALS TO LIMIT TOTAL TRAVEL TIME
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.