Digital Information Technology & Digital Thread
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Sr Software Engineer
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
Cincinnati, Alpharetta, Atlanta
You will be responsible for programming a component, feature and or feature set. Works independently and contributes to the immediate team and to other teams across business. You will also contribute to design discussions.
* Be responsible for providing technical leadership and defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure
* Provide technical leadership to an agile team of 5-7
* Work with Product Line Leaders (PLLs) to understand product requirements & vision
* Translate requirements / vision into prioritized list of user stories and deliver to required timelines and quality standards
* Work with product line leaders and architects to develop multi generation software technology plans
* Drive increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse
* Support process improvements which guide the development, sustaining & support activities
* Coach, mentor and lead the team
* Work cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables
* Drive world-class quality in the development and support of products
* Communicate effectively both within immediate team and also across SSG leadership team and with PLLs
* Ensure team receives consistent messages and has clear understanding of business direction, strategy and results
* Engage subject matter experts in successful transfer of complex domain knowledge
* Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques
* Write code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
* Understand performance parameters and assess application performance
* Work on core data structures and algorithms and implement them using technology chosen
* Proactively share information across the team, to the right audience with the appropriate level of detail and timeliness
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
* A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in programming and automation OR Master's degree with 3 years of experience programming and automation.
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
* Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in Cincinnati, Alpharetta, or Atlanta.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Experience with Windows and Unix / Linux based programming
* Experience with Automation and Orchestration tools (such as Chef, Puppet, Jenkins, Scalr, etc.)
* Experience with multiple programming languages such as Java, C++, Python, R, Matlab, etc.
* Aware of Methods and practices such as Lean/Agile/XP, etc. May have prior work experience in an agile environment, or introductory training on Lean/Agile. Aware of and able to apply continuous integration (CI).
* Demonstrates the initiative to explore alternate technology and approaches to solving problems
* Skilled in breaking down problems, documenting problem statements and estimating efforts
* Has the ability to analyze impact of technology choices
* Ensures understanding of issues and presents clear rationale. Able to speak to mutual needs and win-win solutions. Uses two-way communication to influence outcomes and ongoing results
* Identifies misalignments with goals, objectives, and work direction against the organizational strategy. Makes suggestions to course correct
* Continuously measures deliverables of self and team against scheduled commitments. Effectively balances different, competing objectives
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Effective team building and problem solving abilities
* Persists to completion, especially in the face of overwhelming odds and setbacks. Pushes self for results; pushes others for results through team spirit
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.