Sr. Software Engineer, Teradata
Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 23,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you'll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list. Position Description
We are seeking an experienced Teradata developer/DBA to join our team in Lake Forest, IL. In this role, you will have the opportunity to create solutions that will help Grainger grow as a business. We offer a great work environment, challenging opportunities, and the ability to be part of a team that is bringing the organization to the next generation of analytics. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Experience with TASM rules for workload management to ensure the system is performing optimally.
- Performs Teradata DBA activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry best practices relative to products, services and methodologies.
- Investigates and provides insight on emerging technologies that can be leveraged to meet the organization's analytics needs. Participates on POCs for identified technologies.
- Provides input to the organization of roles and tasks they are responsible for while identifying process gaps & improvements.
- Researches, resolves and responds to highly complex questions relating to services supported by the Analytics team.
- Enforces creation of reusable components and other performance enhancing techniques.
- Provides leadership to develop projects and people (as mentor and/or coach, providing feedback and sharing best practices).
- Proactively monitors system activity and communicates problems and issues to appropriate technical, implementation or management personnel.
- Good functional knowledge & excellent hands on knowledge of data flow from ECC (SD, MM, FI modules in particular) and CRM.
- Translates business requirements into technical requirements.
- Notifies management of production problems as required.
Successful candidates will have:
- College Degree in Computer Sciences or 6+ years of related experience.
- Teradata Certified Master is preferred.
- Experience with Teradata v14 or v15.
- Hands-on TASM experience.
- Active participation in Teradata upgrades.
- Experience and working knowledge of TVA.
- Experience in Data Modeling using Dimensional Data Modeling, Star Schema Modeling, and Snow-Flake Modeling.
- Demonstrated experience with UNIX shell scripts and Teradata.
- Demonstrated experience designing data architectures for system integration projects dealing with sourcing data, building data marts for reporting and analytics, and integrated reporting functions.
- Demonstrated experience with design and construction of data interfaces from transactional legacy systems into a dimensional data model.
- Working knowledge of extraction tools. (For example enhancing the BW Open Hub to extract data.)
- Strong background with analyzing data.
- Experience with SQL, relational databases and stored procedures.
- Knowledge or experience of HANA is preferred.
- Knowledge or experience of Hadoop is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of data processing components and methodologies.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communications skills
- Knowledge of integration techniques working with SAP IDOC is a plus
- Experience with developing software solutions in an Agile/Lean environment.
- Experience with WhereScape.
- Experience in software development methodology and software development life cycle.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.