GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Sr Software Engineer - Back End
Applications and Software
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
The Back-end Developer will be responsible for designing, developing and testing software to create solutions and services tailored to the needs of the business and external customers. Requires developed and strong foundation of functional skills and knowledge of relevant technologies. You will be a member of an integrated pod working together to deliver successful outcomes on the GE Predix platform for GE Transportation.
* Responsible for defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development methods and infrastructure.
* Support and embrace a DevOps culture. Be capable and willing to build brand new application functionality whilst supporting a [soon-to-be] live production application.
* Support impact assessment and decision related to technology choices, design /architectural considerations and implementation strategy.
* Expert level skills in Java development, with an ability to take a deep dive in the implementation aspects.
* Expert in core data structures as well as algorithms and has the ability to implement them using language of choice when necessary.
* Collaborate with system engineers, data scientists, frontend developers and software developers to implement solutions that are aligned with and extend shared platforms and solutions.
* Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean / Agile / XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques.
* Write code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality aligned with GE standards and guidelines
* Bachelor's Degree in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) OR the completion of a code development pair-programming, bootcamp-style, or accelerated training curriculum focused on contemporary software development OR High School Diploma / GED with a 4 year minimum of IT experience.
* Minimum of 3 years of experience in software engineering/back-end software development
* Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
* Must be willing to travel
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in New Orleans, LA
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Experience with Predix and Cloud Foundry
* Excellent knowledge of development tools and integrated build systems: Eclipse IDE, Jenkins/Hudson, Maven - Software development cycle and automated testing experience (TDD/BDD)
* Working hands-on experience with configuration management tools such as CVS/SVN/ClearCase/Git/Perforce
* Strong Debugging and Troubleshooting Expertise
* Experience working in an Agile software development environment
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively across functions in a matrix environment.
* Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to diplomatically advocate for the appropriate support staffing levels.
* Ideal candidate will also have experience presenting effectively to non-technical and executive audiences.
* Strong analytical skills - strong problem solving skills, communicates in a clear and succinct manner and effectively evaluates information / data to make decisions; anticipates obstacles and develops plans to resolve.
* Resourceful and quick learner; able to efficiently seek out, learn, & apply new areas of expertise as needed.
* Highly self-motivated, able to work independently
* Good knowledge on many from the following technology stack - Java, J2EE, Spring Framework, MVC, App server Knowledge (Tomcat,JBoss), OSGi, SOAP/REST webservices
* Hands-on experience in web services (REST, SOAP, WSDL etc.), Maven, SQL Database such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.
* Excellent knowledge with development tools and integrated build systems: Eclipse IDE, Jenkins/Hudson, Maven - Software development cycle and automated testing experience
* 3-5+ years experience with Java
* Experience with NodeJS
* 1-2 years experience with NOSQL databases and RDMS/databases (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSql, etc...)
* 3+ Years of developing REST APIs
* 3+ Years experience writing unit tests
* 2+ Experience using a CI system to automate builds
* Understanding of HTTP and Network Layer overhead and latency
* Understanding of how to optimize service data for size or speed
* Working knowledge in configuration management tools such as CVS/SVN/ClearCase/Git/Perforce
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
* Demonstrated customer focus - evaluates decisions through the eyes of the customer; builds strong customer relationships and creates processes with customer viewpoints
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.