Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Sr. Solution Architect - Advanced Analytics (downtown Chicago location) Job Description
This individual will be responsible for leading a team of Solution architects and providing technical leadership in the areas of prototyping, architecting and building advanced analytic solutions. Discover is revamping its traditional analytics and data stack into a next-gen ecosystem built on Real-time and Open source analytic tools. The solution architecture team for advanced analytics will play a critical role in evaluating open source frameworks, architecting these to meet the stringent standards of enterprise and integrating them to the overall ecosystem. The Sr. Solution architect will also take the lead in terms of recruiting and building a pool of talented architects. This individual needs to demonstrate both the breadth and depth of knowledge in terms of the evolving Big Data landscape and experience leading technology transformation initiatives.
***THIS ROLE WILL SIT IN OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO LOCATION AT 350 N. ORLEANS***
- Deliver on Advanced analytics strategy, ranging from architecting Open source based Big data-analytic tools and building integrated solutions that meet enterprise needs
- Partner with the Product managers and owners to understand business requirements and develop architecture patterns that can be built by the engineers
- Build a culture of learning and innovation with the ability to learn new data technologies / practices and spearheading adoption within the organization
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in technology communities and act as an internal mentor to users of these platforms
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting edge technologies and align solution to meet our customer needs
- Ability to set technology strategy for the team
- Proven track record of developing junior and experienced architects
- Proficiency with Cloud technologies and concepts, Real-time analytics , Streaming data platform and machine learning tools
- Experience leading architecture transformation from traditional to next-gen data-analytic technology solutions
- At least 7 years experience working in software, data or architecture role
- At least 3 years experience leading architecture teams
- Must have Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence experience and knowledgeable in various analytical modeling techniques
- Experience with various forms of data design, such as OLTP, OLAP, ODS, EDW, data marts, DSS, and Big Data
- Experience with multiple data warehousing methodologies and modeling techniques, such as relational, dimensional, hierarchical, and graph
- Working knowledge of agile development of micro-service, event driven architecture and Lambda architecture
- Working knowledge of MPP parallel data processing design, SQL, BI tools, and data management
- Working knowledge of Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Cassandra, Teradata and Oracle data platforms
- Demonstrate ability to provide technical leadership on large complex data integration projects
- One or more domain knowledge in Financial Services, Credit Card, Direct Banking, and Payment Network business is a plus
- Demonstrate ability to balance tactical delivery with strategic vision where necessary to meet business-driven, time-critical objectives.
- The ability to identify, evaluate, and articulate trade-offs and make recommendations is essential
- Must have a willingness to be pragmatic and hands on where necessary to meet objectives
- 2+ years experience working with AWS or other cloud providers
- 2+ years experience in Financial services
- Building data-analytic solutions leveraging technologies including Hadoop, Spark, NIFI, Kafka, Python, R
- Coding experience on next-gen data tools such as Spark, Hive, Python is a plus
- Hands-on experience integrating open source components into data-analytic solutions
- Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
- Experience working on Hadoop, Spark and real-time analytic frameworks
- Excellent communication/ influencing skills and ability to navigate through matrixed, integrated organizational charts and reach out to various constituent groups.
- Demonstrated ability to driving change; Ability to take an organization through transition. Ability to clearly communicate, persuade and influence a wide group of people, including Senior Management
- Pro-active and creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to articulate strong and well-founded points of view and effectively communicate them to all levels of the organization - senior management, peers and subordinates.
- Flexibility and capacity to work effectively across functional silos and departmental lines.
- Experience in analytical projects management and team leadership.
Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.