Digital Information Technology & Digital Thread
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Sr Staff Software Architect
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
San Ramon, New Orleans
Works on multiple projects as a project leader or internal consultant. Works on highly complex projects that require in-depth domain knowledge or two or more specialized architecture areas.
* Lead and coordinate the domain technical and business discussions relative to future architecture direction across the product portfolio or product line.
* Analyze design and develop a roadmap and implementation plan based upon a current vs. future state in a cohesive architecture viewpoint.
* Review and/or analyze and develop architectural requirements at domain level within product portfolio or team.
* Participate in the EA domain governance model.
* Contribute to the development of software and data delivery platforms that are service-oriented with reusable components that can be orchestrated together into different methods for different businesses.
* Lead the research and evaluation of emerging technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and/or operational support actives.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
* A minimum of 12 years of technical experience along with established leadership credentials across disciplines and functions within a product OR Master's degree with 8 years of experience OR PhD with 5 years of experience.
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
* Must be willing to travel up to 25%.
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in San Ramon, CA or New Orleans, LA.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Participates in domain technical and business discussions relative to future architecture direction aligning with business goals.
* Gathers and analyzes data and develops architectural requirements at project level, aligning architectural requirements with software development strategy.
* Reviews exceptions and makes recommendations to architectural standards at a domain level.
Specific to this role:
* Focus on the overall platform and defining the structure. Ownership of such items as where to use caching, caching solutions, messaging systems such as RabbitMQ, etc.
• modular components
• final artifacts outlining topology
• assessment and addressing of technical debt
* Modular UI: Ownership of design/implementation of requirements from a design point of view. Candidate must be flexible - must be able to manage-by-committee but also act as the single point person who makes the final decision.
* Front-end code quality.
* Determine the most effective tools to build out the backend system (java, node, nginx, etc.).
* Back-end code quality.
* Continuous Deployment / Continuous Integration / Artifact Management:
* Build automation and build notes.
* Artifact deployments to various environments.
* Scalable pipeline development for internal GE use and external commercialization capacity.
* Monitoring application selection and implementation.
* Scaling applications.
* Environment ownership.
Application standards and enforcement:
* Implementation of a process to ensure compliance to the standards.
* Actively leading compliance to code standards defined to achieve maintainability, testability, scalability, modularity, and re-use.
* Code quality standards normalization for existing developers and training for new team members.
* Test coverage completeness and effectiveness.
* Demonstrate knowledge of business' structure (P&Ls) and the interplay of functions to support business goals; demonstrate knowledge of the business products, key processes, suppliers, customers and market/competitors.
* Develops, motivates and directs staff to create a team environment.
* Recommends expenditures based on the size, scope, and cost of hardware and software components. Assists in developing business cases.
* Collaborates with project management on reporting project status, issues, risks and benefits. Meets with project leaders and software development Leaders to ensure progress towards architectural alignment with project goals and requirements.
* Ensures understanding of issues and presents clear rationale.
* Approaches software development with a 'team-first' mindset, not one for placing blame or claiming credit. Must be willing to guide conversations with technical personnel who are more and less experienced to arrive at true compromise - approaching all scenarios with tact and patience, willing to learn from all parties.
* Applies values, business strategy, policies, precedent, and experience to make complex decisions with uncertain consequences.
* Challenges conventional thinking and traditional ways of operating and invites stakeholders to identify issues and opportunities.
* Takes a systems perspective that inter-relates internal and external factors for planning. Envisions compares and contrasts multiple potential medium range operational futures.
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.